Fusing Grand Central?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SAMD51SERCOM

Fusing Grand Central?

Post by SAMD51SERCOM »

I read the rather informative article on the Grand Central. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-grand-central

The DC Jack is a 5.5mm/2.1mm center-positive DC connector, which is the most common available. Provide about 6V-12V here to power the Metro. There is no fuse on this connection so you can draw more current, up to 800mA between the 5V and 3.3V supplies, and 2A from Vin.

What I do not follow is how to properly fuse things if providing power through the DC jack? It looks like it can handle 800 mA if you are using the 5V and 3.3V supplies but I plan to feed it 12V through the DC jack and I would like to fuse it to protect the Grand Central in the event of extraneous power draw.

Also not completely clear how if the DC jack is the same as providing power from VIN or if that is different?

What value of fuse should I go with and should it be fast or slow blow?

Thank you for helping to clarify! Been using Arduinos for a while but the hardware side of this needs a bit more clarification!

mikeysklar

Re: Fusing Grand Central?

Post by mikeysklar »

@SAMD51SERCOM,

You should be able to find a 12v car lighter plug connector that you can use in your mix which will typically include a 2A slow burn fuse. Kind of like this. This could couple to a female receptacle.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-1mm-12V-Car ... /688526892

Looking at the schematic it appears the major difference between the 2.1mm input and the Vin is a diode being available to the 2.1mm side which sounds safer to connect through than Vin direct to the votage regulator
371201C7-4FF7-4CCC-A730-B3816A5032BD.jpeg
371201C7-4FF7-4CCC-A730-B3816A5032BD.jpeg (337.37 KiB) Viewed 166 times

SAMD51SERCOM

Post by SAMD51SERCOM »

I see the 1A diode there. Should I just install a roughly 1A slow blow right before the 2.1 mm power in DC jack then? If it consumes 2A slow blow, isn't that going to pretty much destroy the Grand Central by that point?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I had read the 2.1mm jack as being able to handle up to 2A, but I see your point that the 1A diode size is mentioned in the schematic

Your plan to add a 1A slow blow before the 2.1mm connector sounds like the way to go.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”