Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Big Sur Upgrade
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Big Sur Upgrade

by conroyw on Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:40 am

After an upgrade to Big Sur on my Mac, I no longer see the Metro board or the USB ports. Anyone have any thoughts on how to get the ports back live. I already reloaded the FTDI drivers.

conroyw

Re: Big Sur Upgrade

by Julzyav on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Try double clicking the reset button to go into "boot mode" and check for serial ports. Got to cmd and execute the commands below. You should see the device in the file viewer.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
ls /dev/tty.*
ls /dev/cu.*

Julzyav

by conroyw on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Only port that shows up is the Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

Bill's Mac-->ls /dev/tty.*
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
Bill's Mac-->ls /dev/cu.*
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

conroyw

by Julzyav on Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:57 am

Did you double click the reset and wait for a bit? I don't have a mac computer but I have a windows one and when I double click the reset button, wait for 15 sec, it creates a new com port and file manager sees it. Try it and wait for a minute or so.

Julzyav

by shamborn on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 am

I'm having this same problem.

(beginner, here) I just got my Adafruit Metro 328 Starter Pack, plugged the Metro into my MacBook, opened Terminal, entered ls /dev/cu* and I keep getting /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

I double-clicked reset as the above user suggested but it didn't work. Suggestions?
thanks

shamborn

by octoshaw on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:29 pm

Same issue here - I have a number of boards including Metro M0, ItsyBitsy M0 and Trinket M0. All these boards were fine with previous MacOS 10.x (so I know boards/usb cables are good)
Since Big Sur, none of them show up as virtual ports. I can still push code to them with the Arduino IDE - but without serial connectivity its hard to debug (my circuitrpy editors are also useless).

I know there's a bunch of advice on the Arduino forum - I have tried updating Java, and reinstalling the latest IDE(s). I realize that Apple changed things up in the latest OS, but was hoping there might be some suggestions here from devs since they are Adafruit boards.

Thanks.

octoshaw

by DaveTheK on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 pm

Sorry to say, I am reluctantly giving up on Metro boards and Big Sur, and mothballing my stack of Metro Minis until I can find a Windows laptop. I've followed all the recommendations, downloaded the drivers, installed, uninstalled and even went back to a clean install with a clean download. The driver downloads properly, installs, and gets authorized but will not load, so no port ever appears under /dev/cu* (can see the driver is present but unloaded in System Report/Extensions and using terminal (kextload) to force load doesn't do it).

The whole idea of Arduino was plug and play and while I'm sure the signing and authentication on Mac is a huge pain, it still seems to be an unresolved issue months after this thread. I support Adafruit because I believe in the mission and that the best way to support you is to buy stuff, but in return I need it to work.

DaveTheK

by conroyw on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:13 pm

I eventually got Big Sur to work with my Metro board by deleting the arduino ide and performing a clean install.

conroyw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.