Metro ESP32-S2 Serial Port
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro ESP32-S2 Serial Port

by dwrigglesworth on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Hello,

I am trying to use the serial monitor in Arduino IDE with my Metro ESP32-S2. I am able to connect and upload sketches, but while the sketch is running, the board does not show up in the list of serial ports. Here is the "blink" sketch I am using. I followed the instructions on the adafruit product support page to setup the board in Arduino. I call Serial.begin().
I also tried adding a very long delay after it based on recommendations I found while trying to get it to work, that didn't help. Is it possible that I am missing a driver, I thought I read that no drivers were required?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

IDE: Arduino 1.8.13

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  // initialize built in LED pin as an output.
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  // initialize USB serial converter so we have a port created
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(15000);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  Serial.println("Hello");
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
}

dwrigglesworth

Re: Metro ESP32-S2 Serial Port

by 42volts on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 am

The "S2" chips have built in USB, whereas all the older ESP32's require a USB-to-UART converter (often built onto the dev board) in order to interface with the chip. When you build your firmware, it is *probably* using the UART pins. I would try hooking up to those pins and see if it spits out any data. According to the schematic, the UART pins are exposed on a header called "J2". That's probably the two unpopulated through-holes between the USB port and the ESP32 with the label "De/bug".

42volts

by dwrigglesworth on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks for the reply! The product guide here https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-esp32-s2?view=all says this about the DEBUG header:
"This is not where default Serial.print() or CircuitPython print() outputs go, because those will go through the USB port instead!"

So I don't think that is the case, but I will give it a try in case that is an error.

dwrigglesworth

by dwrigglesworth on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:19 pm

Just tried reading serial from the debug header. I did read the ESP generated data but not my data so it doesn't appear that the Serial.print() is using those pins like we thought could be happening.

I also tried the WiFi Scan example. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-esp32-s2/wifi-test Still no luck.

dwrigglesworth

by dwrigglesworth on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:55 pm

Seems like others are having this issue as well. An issue has been submitted. https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/issues/4728

dwrigglesworth

by Jchun89 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:16 am

Hi I am also having this issue on a Mac running OS X 15.7 (Catalina) , I can upload sketches from the arduino environment in the boot mode but after hitting reset to run the sketch I can no longer see a port. I tried to do the same thing in circuit python and the board is not detected when it is not in boot mode. The device blinks as it should but just is not detected. I could not find drivers as the first poster mentioned. Thanks for the help

Jchun89

by Jchun89 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi all I think I fixed it by rolling back to a prior commit in the IDF-release 4.2 branch. I tried this one you can try others if you want https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... lease/v4.2
I put this into the terminal
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
cd ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware/espressif/esp32
git checkout cbafe67ee1fd0bc31a4c98e2ae52cb322ab0ef81

Jchun89

by shawns on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 pm

I think the temporary fix mentioned in that GitHub issue is already incorporated into the `master` branch, but I'm still not seeing a serial port either (I'm using that latest branch).
(https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/issues/4728)

Is there perchance a later fix that addresses this issue?

shawns

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.