Grand Central - OTA Updates: Just writing to internal storag
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Grand Central - OTA Updates: Just writing to internal storag

by pplusa on Tue May 04, 2021 9:37 pm

I'm using the Grand Central in a multi-site IoT system, powered by PoE, and it would be really nice to not have to go site-to-site and physically plug in to devices to update my code. The whole bootup process is outside my area of expertise though.

If I can get the binary data of my updated code (compiled however is appropriate) to the code running on my Grand Central (e.g. with an ethernet shield), what is actually needed to update itself? Is it just a matter of writing that data to the flash storage and restarting the device? Are there any "gotcha's" to look out for - specific addresses to use or anything to avoid?

I've found a couple OTA Update libraries but they don't appear to support SAMD51 yet, pending "storage helper" updates. This implies I just need to figure out actually writing the updated binary data to the device. Does that seem correct or am I way off-base?

Thanks for any help!

pplusa

Re: Grand Central - OTA Updates: Just writing to internal st

by mikeysklar on Thu May 06, 2021 1:39 pm

The OTA features are not supported by us at this time so I would strongly discourage you from rolling out multi-site IoT systems using them right now. I understand the need for remote updates of firmware. What I've done for my installations is add a Pi Zero to each Grand Central so that I can upload code using arduino-cli and have a running console to keep track of how the controller is doing. In time OTA will be the way to go.

mikeysklar

by pplusa on Thu May 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Got it, thanks!

At least when the project kicked off, supplies of Pi hardware were too limited, but it looks like they're more available now; so I'll go that route. Being able to supply the sites with a Pi they just have to plug in is easy enough and keeps me from having to make trips to the sites.

pplusa

by mikeysklar on Fri May 07, 2021 9:46 am

Cool. I think you will find having a serial console for catching issues will be invaluable.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.