Metro Mini upload code reliably only without external power

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Systembolaget

Metro Mini upload code reliably only without external power

Post by Systembolaget »

Hej,

I have a bunch of Metro Minis and a one year old MacBook Pro (Catalina). When I supply 6V from a 3A PSU through Vin to any of my Metro Minis, uploading code almost always fails. I can upload code when I disconnect the PSU and only run the Metro Mini via USB. Plugging the PSU plug in and disconnecting the breadboard's DC-jack all the time for each code upload is tedious.

When I boot the MacBook Pro into Windows 10 via bootcamp, I have no such problems when powering via Vin.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Metro Mini upload code reliably only without external po

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like your 6V supply might be noisy. That could cause enough interference to mess up the USB signals during an upload.

Output smoothing is one of the places where power supply manufacturers can cut corners. Good filters tend to be large and expensive, or small and really expensive, and the only way to see the output quality is by connecting it to an oscilloscope.

Try adding a large capacitor (100uF to 1000uF) between the Vin and GND pins. That should smooth the power enough to make the USB connection happy.

Systembolaget

Post by Systembolaget »

Thanks, however, I have a capacitor in place and it happens with other PSUs as well, on any Metro Mini. It also happens with Metro and Feather Huzzah 8266. On all four USB-C ports of the Mac. It never happens when using the Mac in Windows 10 mode via bootcamp.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

In that case I have no idea what could be happening. The supply voltage should have no effect on the USB connection.

Systembolaget

Post by Systembolaget »

Ok, thanks; it certainly must be a macOS Catalina thing. I saw many other posts on the Internet with similar issues when using macOS.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”