USB pivoting or turnover sleeve

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vwaterson

USB pivoting or turnover sleeve

Post by vwaterson »

Looking for a USB male connector that will fold flat into a recess in an enclosure and manually rotated 90 degrees so that the enclosure can be plugged into for example a pc or laptop for charging and data transfer. Reading through patents on the subject it appears that pivoting means moving the USB through its narrower face while turnover means rotating through its wider face which is what I am trying to find.

mikeysklar

Re: USB pivoting or turnover sleeve

Post by mikeysklar »

vwaterson,

I think I understand what you are asking for. A folding USB Male A connector that is kind of similar to a key fob or pocket knife.

We once sold a ChargeCard that has some of the properties to what you are describing.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1473
31EAB44A-8BE6-4715-B6FA-C0AA5B27FF6D.jpeg
31EAB44A-8BE6-4715-B6FA-C0AA5B27FF6D.jpeg (132.11 KiB) Viewed 133 times
One though I had is that you could look at a few devices that use a USB male plug which are really just four copper strips on PCB.
EB053FA9-8BD0-4B70-A25C-6B63FA9575CD.jpeg
EB053FA9-8BD0-4B70-A25C-6B63FA9575CD.jpeg (229.2 KiB) Viewed 133 times

vwaterson

Post by vwaterson »

Great find that is EXACTLY the kind of USB connector I am looking for. Pity it been discontinued. Thank you for your suggestion about the USB on a small board and the photo. Sorry to take up your time on this but how could I create a hinge on that so it locked in place? Thanks again.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@vwaterson,

I would use the PCB male plug as shown in the above image of our MicroLion battery charger. I think those are the easiest to create PCB programs and on the far end of the board use a right angle JST SH 4-pin connector. That way you now have small standard cable to work with. In our charge example photo you can see a 2-pin connector to allow a battery +/- to be plugged in. I'm suggesting just switching to a 4-pin connector to carry the additional data lines.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4208

You still need to work out the mechanical, but you can do that all on the enclosure side. If you are going to 3D print making a hinge will be pretty easy.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”