Calendar 2.7 e-ink M4 Airlift -- dies after a while

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gregorycasey

Calendar 2.7 e-ink M4 Airlift -- dies after a while

Post by gregorycasey »

Anybody have extension execution time on the Wifi/Calendar example that is listed ADAFRUIT --- I run it for hours --- but it never seems to make it overnight without crashing.

I'm not sure if it get confused on because of time OR if the time server is unavailable -- What I know is that at the time of the crash, it is making a wifi wget() and never comes back.

SO, I was thinking of adding a WDT to reign it back after it goes out to lunch, BUT I don't see any libraries that support the M4 Airlift. Any suggestions, with WDT on Airlift.

This is in normal Ardunio CPP NOT CircuitPython.

Greg

gregorycasey

Re: Calendar 2.7 e-ink M4 Airlift -- dies after a while

Post by gregorycasey »

I loaded up the AdaFruit_SleepyDog.h demo, and playing executed the Basic Usage Script from TOny DiCola.

So, I see how the Script counts and I see how to trigger the WDT.

MY new question -- this script DOES cause the IDE to "Beep" but does NOT reset the Arduino and make it reboot, like it does not get a reset vector ?

What am I missing ? Greg

gregorycasey

Post by gregorycasey »

On my continue "self-discovery" on this issue -- probably very obvious but not clear to me, yet.

I have Two Metro M4 Airlift and also a Metro. I loaded a a VERY simple sketch -- BLINK - with a Serial.println in the Setup routine.

Well, they do act differently when I push the RESET button.

the METRO acts as expected, when I push reset, the Serial.println in Setup executes.

On the Metro M4 Airlift -- Right after loading -- I get the expected Serial.println from Setup BUT when I push RESET - i do not appear to execute the SETUP routine, I don't get the Serial.println from the Setup Routine ?? I do get the IDE beeping as if reset, but it does not hit the SETUP. I never get the DIRECTORY WIndow popping up for the WINDOWS BOOT drive --

SO, how does one FORCE a RESET of M4 AIRLIFT. When I GROUNDED the RST Pin of the M4 Ardunio Header to GROUND -- acted same as RESET button -- Setup Routine execution does NOT happen.

gregorycasey

Post by gregorycasey »

SOLVED !! - I kind of thought it was a "cockpit error" :) --- Thanks to Tony DiCola and his SleepyDog.h library

The WDT has ALWAYS been resetting the part AND GOING to the SETUP routine on WDT expire, BUT the SERIAL.Print debug port is NOT resyncing to the HOST IDE. It seems to resync on non-M4 AIRLIFT, like the Metro. I'm sure it has something to do with the Ardrunio vs CiruitPython negotiation at reset. (by the way, don't like the name CircuitPython -- with a name like that, it should be a simple method for FPGA design not for programming a microcontroller ... maybe later (product idea -- AdaFruit )

So, if I rely on just BLINKY LED and removing the Debug Serial, it works fine.

So, thanks --- Discovery is the FUN !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”