Looking for a board suggestion

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BURevisfan

Looking for a board suggestion

Post by BURevisfan »

Hello All!

I'm starting a new project and I need a recommendation on a Metro board. I usually use the Metro Mini 328 for most of my projects but for this one I need to use a full size board since I'm using a DMX RDM shield. I haven't bought a full size Metro board since I my first Metro 328 board 3 years ago so I haven't really kept on the technology.

What's my best bang for my buck?

Project Wise... I'm building a wireless DMX remote based off of John Park's remote effects trigger tutorial. I've already built and used the transmitter for another project so I'm just planning on building a receiver adapted to my needs.

https://learn.adafruit.com/remote-effects-trigger

I'm planning on using the Adafruit RFM69HCW Transceiver Radio Breakout - 868 or 915 MHz - RadioFruit as the receiver board and then using hardwired I/O to send trigger signals to the main Metro board which then sends commands out via the DMX shield.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3070

The DMX shield library is USART based and only uses one Digital Pin (#2) so I don't need a ton of extra I/O.

I just need it to be speedy and responsive.

Thanks in advance.
Robert

blnkjns

Re: Looking for a board suggestion

Post by blnkjns »

Is the code you want to put on it big?
What is the logic voltage you need. Does it work on 3.3V or does it need 5V?
As the LORA radio either works on UART or SPI, it is nice to have either of them in hardware.
5V compact code will work on Leonardo 32U4 boards, I like the 32U4 for its extra UART and non-shared SPI pins.
If you need more punch, I like the price/performance of the Metro M4, but that is a totally different league.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”