Circuit Playground Express + Windows XP ?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Circuit Playground Express + Windows XP ?

by susanh1 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Am thinking of giving an old pc to a friend to learn electronics with the Circuit Playground Express and Make Code. This old pc is running Windows XP. The oldest mentioned os in the tutorial on setting up the drivers is Windows 7. Does anyone know if the setup will run with Windows XP. (ps - the computer is too old/not worth it to upgrade to a newer os).

Thanks for any help.

susanh1

Re: Circuit Playground Express + Windows XP ?

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 am

[moved to the MakeCode forum]

adafruit_support_mike

by danhalbert on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 pm

If you plug the CPX into the XP machine and you see a CPLAYBOOT drive, then potentially you could use Makecode. However, the problem is that MakeCode also needs a modern browser, and both Chrome and Firefox stopped supporting XP a couple of years ago (which is ages in the browser world). You could try getting the latest version of either that works on XP, but it may not work well.

You might consider install Linux (say, Ubuntu) on the machine, and then you'd be able to use a newer browser. The Lubuntu version of Ubuntu works well on older machines with less memory.

danhalbert

by susanh1 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I have actually gotten Makecode working on this machine by using Firefox and adding memory to the machine (1 G was $35, so not a huge investment). It's not lightening fast, but it does work well enough for someone to experiment and learn the basics. Longer term, I think your Linux suggestion is probably the bigger winner. I don't know linux so I'll wait to try that out until I have a bigger chunk of spare time.
Thanks again,
Susan

susanh1

by pelikhan on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:16 am

We do not test MakeCode in Windows XP so... all bets are off.

pelikhan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.