Makecode changes and project walkthroughs
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Makecode changes and project walkthroughs

by kristenmontesano on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi all-

I have experienced this problem twice now with two project walkthoughs with MakeCode and the micro:bit and circuit playground express.

In my technology class, two students were interested in the circuit playground express laser tag project (https://learn.adafruit.com/circuit-play ... g?view=all). However, when trying to write the code, it appears MakeCode has had some changes and now it is impossible (?) to code pin d13, or any of the d pins for that matter. This project requires early on and throughout programming the d 13 pin with the "digital write pin" block from the "pins" category. But pin d13 is not an option from the dropdown in this block and it appears MakeCode has been updates because the "digital write pin" block now sets to high/low rather than true/false.

I encountered a similar program this summer with a camper who wanted to program the crashy bird project (from MakeCode's own website) on their micro:bit. However, MakeCode seems to have changed and there is no longer a "create empty array" block, which is required in the walkthrough.

I am sure there are workarounds or that the updated blocks may just go by another name, but I can't figure out (especially for the d pins on circuit playground) where or how!

Thanks for any support!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 8.22.23 PM.png
The block suggested in the laser tag project guide.
Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 8.22.23 PM.png (151.95 KiB) Viewed 83 times

kristenmontesano

Re: Makecode changes and project walkthroughs

by johnpark on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 am

Hi, yes, there were some changes from those early projects while MakeCode's UI was still evolving. If you look at the last image on the coding page of the guide I updated it recently to reflect the current UI -- I also added a warning on the top of the page that the UI has changed. I also put a shared link to the current, working code.

The main thing that I think was causing problems in this case was the change from D13 to LED as the name of that pin.

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 8.20.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 8.20.48 AM.png (60.99 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 8.20.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 8.20.40 AM.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 67 times

I hope this helps out!

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.