Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Using blocks to program LED's?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Using blocks to program LED's?

by Mathpun on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding things I can create in makecode:
I am using a circuit playground express, and can get things working the traditional way in Arduino studio but would like to do it makecode so I can show kids how its done!

1. I have a "Adafruit Mini 8x8 LED Matrix w/I2C Backpack - Red" and I was wondering how I could get this to work using makecode?

2. If I want to use a sensor not built into the playground, is that possible in makecode as well? Like the UV sensor or the color detector sensor.

3. What about neopixels that are not in a strip -- (Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel version 2 - Pack of 4 PRODUCT ID: 1260), I have them connected but cannot figure it out in makecode.

4. Will makecode be supporting a gemma, or flora anytime soon?

Thank you so much!!

Mathpun

Re: Using blocks to program LED's?

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:10 pm

1. I have a "Adafruit Mini 8x8 LED Matrix w/I2C Backpack - Red" and I was wondering how I could get this to work using makecode?
2. If I want to use a sensor not built into the playground, is that possible in makecode as well? Like the UV sensor or the color detector sensor.

Same answer for both of these. There would need to be support for the hardware in makecode. I don't think there currently are any for these products.
3. What about neopixels that are not in a strip -- (Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel version 2 - Pack of 4 PRODUCT ID: 1260), I have them connected but cannot figure it out in makecode.

In general, all NeoPixels are in a strip. Even if the product shape isn't strip-like. To use NeoPixels that you've attached, you'd want to use the block NEOPIXEL -> "create strip on Ax with N pixels", and replace Ax with the analog pin you've attached to and N with the number of pixels.
4. Will makecode be supporting a gemma, or flora anytime soon?

Adding more boards is something that will be considered, but not on any kind of guaranteed release schedule.

adafruit_support_carter

by Mathpun on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Thank you for your answers.

So for Q1 and 2, could I use this to try and build something that could accommodate it or no?

https://makecode.adafruit.com/packages

Mathpun

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Yep, I think that's the general way to go.

adafruit_support_carter

by pelikhan on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:30 am

For gemma, you can try https://maker.makecode.com

pelikhan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.