Custom electronic 'tiny smartphone' type application

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cansc

Custom electronic 'tiny smartphone' type application

Post by cansc »

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right place, I am looking for help with my customized project, electronics start at about 41 seconds into the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9RKKhOwQQ
I would like to make an LCD screen / etc that covers the inside of the device and has the flashing red light with sound, green light with sound, escape switch sound (additional external switch), and has a google earth (from google earth app) in the middle.
Any ideas are appreciated, I looked into small smart phones, smart watches etc but not sure what to do.
All the existing electronics (sound board and amp and battery) are from adafruit. Existing "globe" in the center is a digital photo frame keychain but I would like to have the google earth instead.
Thanks so much!

Franklin97355

Re: Custom electronic 'tiny smartphone' type application

Post by Franklin97355 »

Is that something you have already made or is it something you bought?

cansc

Post by cansc »

I made it, it's a custom design and I had it 3d printed on shapeways, assembled it, engraved it, did the dials, etc. Just looking to see if I can improve the electronics. Not sure if I can, hopefully though. I found the thickness of the sound board/ amp and battery and the digital photo frame were just enough to fit inside. That's why I'm seeing if I can get something thinner/ better/ a more streamlined solution. Thanks so much for your help.

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

Perhaps a HalloWing would fit well in there and allow you to do some the custom display things you want to do while still handling sound and LEDs. Really cool looking project!

cansc

Post by cansc »

Great, thanks so much! I haven't heard of that halloWing but I will definitely check it out. Thanks again!

XRAD

Post by XRAD »

Cool project! Like John says. adafruit hallowing and one of the curved lenses from adafruit(40mm? I think was biggest size usable for the hallowing). the look is excellent. you get sound, lights , LCD, motion sensor, and a bunch more electronics in a small package.

cansc

Post by cansc »

Thanks, this looks great for the application. I see there is sound but it can control the lights as well? Also the center could contain a google earth with touchscreen, or would it be a set of static pictures? Also, how would the dome you mentioned be integrated? I am a bit lost with the electronics on this one. I really like the motion sensor, on/off switch, the amp for sound, and all the features. Looks great. Thanks so much for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”