Gemma and Bluefruit w/MakeCode?

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gallaugher

Gemma and Bluefruit w/MakeCode?

Post by gallaugher »

Hi, very excited about the TopSecrets that have show Bluefruit and CPX. I’ve got some Floras and Bluefruits and used the Sparkleskirt as a model to build a new start-of-school year neck tie with six neopixels where I can let students change colors using the Bluefruit app. (Seems like one student will need to disconnect before others can try to connect). Right now I’m using an Arduino sketch on the Flora with Bluefruit added. I’d love to use MakeCode and CircuitPython since I introduce these in class. Some Qs:
- CircuitPython does not work on Flora, correct?
- I’ve noticed a makecode version for Gemma at https://maker.makecode.com/boards/adafruit-gemma-m0but but I haven’t seen a way to link this to the Bluefruit app. Does MakeCode work with the Bluefruit app?
- Is it possible to add a bluefruit to the Gemma and use another pin to control lights and use the CircuitPython 4 libraries to control a Gemma powered neopixel tie over the bluefruit app?
- I know I can rig a CPX to a Bluefruit. If I do this is there a way to MakeCode to Bluefruit or would CircuitPython be my only nonarduino option.
Thx! J

johnpark

Re: Gemma and Bluefruit w/MakeCode?

Post by johnpark »

Fun project! There isn't a Bluetooth extension in Maker.MakeCode currently for the Gemma M0, and I don't believe there's any Bluetooth LE breakout that could be connected to it, for lack of UART or SPI connection pins.

The most straightforward route currently using CircuitPython is probably one of the Bluetooth Feather boards.

Hopefully, there will be Bluetooth support in MakeCode for the upcoming Circuit Playground Express Bluetooth and this will get easier!

gallaugher

Post by gallaugher »

Thx, JP. I went ahead and prepped this using Arduino, Flora, and Flora Bluefruit, which I had on hand. I had a feather Bluefruit M0 but there wasn’t enough RAM left after installing CircuitPython. The nRF52840 Express are out of stock, otherwise I think I could get all I needed with CircuitPython on one board with on board charging of the lipo that I use for power.
Just got a CPX Bluefruit Alpha (and ordered a new blue circuit board tie) so hopefully I can make a Python-powered one, soon. That’d be a good example for students to adapt. In the meantime, I threw together a quick tutorial if anyone is reading along and wants an Arduinoed Bluefruit tie w/Flora
Cheers & thx for your work.
John
http://BANNED/SmartTie

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

Really nicely done! Those grommets are perfect.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”