Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Makecode and CPB?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Makecode and CPB?

by V2man on Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:24 am

Can you use Makecode with a Circuit Playground Bluefruit in the future?

Makecode normally downloads to a Circuit Playground Express using the CPLAYBOOT drive.

To distinguish it from earlier versions of Circuit Playground:
Circuit Playground Bluefruit has a similar drive but it named CPLAYBTBOOT.

V2man

Re: Makecode and CPB?

by SarahMakesStuff on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm also very interested to know whether I can program our Circuit Playground Bluefruit microcontrollers with MakeCode.

When I try to download code from MakeCode, I need to doubleclick the reset button for the external disk CPLAYBTBOOT to appear. Then I click Save and it appears to download, but my program does not run. When I view the files on CPLAYBTBOOT I see my program listed.

*I can successfully load code to my older Circuit Playground Express microcontrollers.

Please help. I'm stuck.

SarahMakesStuff

by johnpark on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Circuit Playground Bluefruit would need to be added as a new board definition to MakeCode. Not sure yet of a timeline on this, it may be a good question to also as on Microsoft's forum.makecode.com

johnpark

by kevinjwalters on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:12 pm

kevinjwalters

by amiika on Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:07 am

Was also trying to install makecode stuff on bluefruit playgrounds.

These pages should be removed to avoid frustrated users: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... ecode-18-3

EDIT: It seems that the ?view=all param in the link includes also some makecode stuff

amiika

by RL_Tracksuit on Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:00 pm

johnpark wrote:Circuit Playground Bluefruit would need to be added as a new board definition to MakeCode. Not sure yet of a timeline on this, it may be a good question to also as on Microsoft's forum.makecode.com

Seems like makecode has a tab for underlying .js. Are there any .js to .py transpilers out there? This might get kids most of the way there to then copy and paste into .py file.

I've recommended many parents get their kids a circuitplayground express, they've been happy! I can't recommend the ble version to the young kids until there's a scratch-like way to program it.

RL_Tracksuit

by DWGRIFF on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:53 am

amiika wrote:Was also trying to install makecode stuff on bluefruit playgrounds.

These pages should be removed to avoid frustrated users: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... ecode-18-3

EDIT: It seems that the ?view=all param in the link includes also some makecode stuff

YES!!!

Very frustrated that the adafruit documentation does not reflect this shortcoming, and even has (false?) directions on how to use makecode w/CPB.

I was hoping my daughter and I could use maker code and I spent about 3 hours trying to figure it out after going through YOUR initial tutorial. Please take some time to edit or lean on microsoft and your staff to fix it.
Thanks

DWGRIFF

by johnpark on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Sorry for the frustration. I've edited that section to indicate it applies to Circuit Playground Express only. (That section is part of a larger page on using CircuitPlayground on both Circuit Playground Express and CPB and is mirrored into both guides.)

johnpark

by DWGRIFF on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:54 pm

johnpark wrote:Sorry for the frustration. I've edited that section to indicate it applies to Circuit Playground Express only. (That section is part of a larger page on using CircuitPlayground on both Circuit Playground Express and CPB and is mirrored into both guides.)

Thank you for the quick response!

DWGRIFF

by V2man on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:31 am

https://maker.makecode.com/ has a Beta version for CPB board. I have not tried it yet so I don't know how well it works. This is not Microsoft Makecode but something similar.
Also has Beta for Feather nrf52840 Express and of course CPX board.
Check it out!

V2man

by V2man on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:41 am

Tried out maker-T20t30C-CPB.png and maker-T20t30C-CPX.png using neopixel graph function. graph function does not work with Makecode. With Maker Makecode you can't move the temperature up and down to observe the neopixels while simulating. Initially the right number of neopixels lit up to indicate the temperature but after a short while all the neopixels lit up. After pressing reset the correct number of neopixels 7/10 light up but again after awhile all the neopixels are lit. Behavior is same for CPX and CPB.
Attachments
maker-T20t30C-CPX.png
maker-T20t30C-CPX.png (89.34 KiB) Viewed 237 times
maker-T20t30C-CPB.png
maker-T20t30C-CPB.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 237 times

V2man

by V2man on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 am

I guess I should not have tried the temperature example because I already know the graph function does not work in Microsoft Makecode.
Tried a more simple example below with Maker Makecode. That worked on CPB board.
So all I can say is play with it if you are comfortable being on the cutting edge. Otherwise wait till improvements are made.
Attachments
maker-rainbow-CPB.png
maker-rainbow-CPB.png (7.69 KiB) Viewed 236 times

V2man

by V2man on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:14 pm

I just tried a temperature example in Maker Makecode that I know works in Microsoft Makecode. The expected result is for 3/10 neopixels to light up indicating a temperature of 23 degrees Centigrade. On the CPB all the neopixels lit up then turned off after ~2 seconds. On the CPX all the neopixels stay with np(0) flashing on and off. At least the colors are right on the neopixels.
Maker Makecode for CPB or CPX cannot be used to obtain meaningful results right now! Sorry I got your hopes up. Even those of you who like the cutting edge will not like the results.
Attachments
maker-Temperature-CPB.png
maker-Temperature-CPB.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 212 times
maker-Temperature-CPX.png
maker-Temperature-CPX.png (91.33 KiB) Viewed 212 times

V2man

by Toldcodger on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi,

I recently bought a Circuit Playground Bluefruit.
I have to say I’ve found it quite a struggle to get most of it working in one way or another.

Thanks to your suggestion though I went to maker.makecode and used the playground bluefruit beta and it worked. It’s missing some blocks that the adafruit version has but probably has some adafruit doesn’t. At least it worked.

Thanks for the advice

Regards

Dave

Toldcodger

by johnpark on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Excellent! Have fun.

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.