Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

PyGamer Display Never Worked
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PyGamer Display Never Worked

by kford76063 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 pm

Greetings.

I ordered 2 PyGamers, and later ordered everything (buttons, enclosure, battery, buttons, case) except the speaker (which has been out-of-stock).

Order Confirmation No: 2262104-6860741185

One PyGamer unit had the display screen work once I plugged in the battery.

The other PyGamer unit never displayed anything on the screen. I plugged in the battery, nothing. I proceeded to load a game onto the PyGamer board. The LEDs on the bottom work. The sound jack works - I can tell a game has been loaded from MakeCode Arcade. I have removed the battery, and then plugged it back in.

Nothing I have tried has caused the display to show anything. It seems to be a defective unit.

Suggestions?

Kyle
Attachments
PyGamer-White-LEDs.png
PyGamer-White-LEDs - No Display
PyGamer-White-LEDs.png (918.83 KiB) Viewed 88 times

kford76063

Re: PyGamer Display Never Worked

by dastels on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 pm

My thought is that the display connector is mis-soldered or mis-aligned. If you have the equipment and skills, you could carefully unstick the screen and check/repair the connector. If you do, please post a clear photo of the end of the display cable where it meets the PCB.

Let me know.

Dave

dastels

by kford76063 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:03 pm

I might be able to unstick the screen gently. I have not worked with screens before. I could do this, and take a picture.

I do have an old solder with wire. I'm not that experienced with it though.

Even if I were to fix the connection, I'm concerned that the display will not stick as well as before, and the display will come loose again. Is that a valid concern?

If I try this, and things don't work out, it seems like I would invalidate my chances of exchanging the PCB, right?

I guess if there is a chance I can fix the connector without solder, and the display can still adhere to the PCB, then I can give it a try.

What do you suggest?

Kyle

kford76063

by dastels on Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am

Unless you pretty handy with fine soldering you likely won't be able to do much actually.

Let's just get you a new one. Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread, your order number, and request a replacement of one PyGamer.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.