Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Can't turn off Neopixels on PyGamer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't turn off Neopixels on PyGamer

by bushgeek on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 am

Hi,

I just got my PyGamer and was so excited to upload my MakeCode Arcade games. However once I upload any game (my own, one of the demos or even a "blank" game), all the Neopixels turn an incredibly bright white (the only exception is the DigiKey shipping game that seems to actually use the Neopixels as indicators). I cannot figure out how to turn them off with any of the code blocks in MakeCode Arcade. I have updated to the latest bootloader (v3.10.0 SFHWRO).

I don't have a lipo battery in my possession so I can only power it over USB for the moment. Does it always light the Neopixels white, full brightness, when plugged into USB? If so, isn't that really annoying for development?

I also can't find the answer to this simple question anywhere on the whole internet, hence this post.

Thanks in advance, bushgeek

bushgeek

Re: Can't turn off Neopixels on PyGamer

by johnpark on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 pm

That's odd, they shouldn't turn on all on their own. As a test, You can add the 'light' extension (Advanced > Extensions > light) and then control the NeoPixel LEDs. This adds a Light category of blocks. 'set all pixels to red' block in an 'on start' loop block, for example. Does that work?

johnpark

by bushgeek on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 am

Hi John, first of all, it's an honour, I'm a big fan of yours!

I had tried that and the Neopixels don't respond to any of the commands in the Light extension. If I plug in with USB, they first light in red until the upload screen, then green, so they are working somewhat.

Once I upload the code they all turn full white regardless of the code I upload. In case you're wondering, I have definitely selected "Adafruit PyGamer" as the target in the download next to the Download button.

Please see attached images.
Attachments
neopixel_test_00.jpg
neopixel_test_00.jpg (113.29 KiB) Viewed 45 times
neopixel_test_02.JPG
neopixel_test_02.JPG (99.73 KiB) Viewed 46 times
neopixel_test_01.JPG
neopixel_test_01.JPG (77.77 KiB) Viewed 46 times

bushgeek

by johnpark on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:54 am

Thanks much!
I wonder if you could try the beta of MakeCode just to see if that changes anything. you can use https://arcade.makecode.com/beta

johnpark

by bushgeek on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:04 am

johnpark wrote:Thanks much!
I wonder if you could try the beta of MakeCode just to see if that changes anything. you can use https://arcade.makecode.com/beta

That worked! The pixels do not turn on automatically and all Light commands now work. I will use the beta version from now on. Thanks for the fix John!

bushgeek

by johnpark on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:48 am

Yay! Enjoy.

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.