Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

microbit/crickit cap touch
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

microbit/crickit cap touch

by nickine9 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:10 am

I have spent a very entertaining time working on John Park's animatronic hand project https://learn.adafruit.com/animatronic-hands/code-the-cpx-and-crickit but using a microbit instead of a CPX and makecode rather than circuitpython. I've got everything working but the capacitive touch pads are behaving slightly oddly. I can easily detect a single touch but cannot recognise multiple touches (eg. pad 1 and pad 2) as far as I can tell the CircuitPython code caters for this. I put some serial prints in my makecode program and it seems like:

if no pads are touched they all return a value between about 550 and 650
if one pad is touched that pad will return about 1015 and other pads are unchanged
if two pads are touched together they each return a value under 500 and the others are unchanged
if 3 or 4 pads are touched they all return about 250

we can program round this but would like to know what causes it

I suspect this is a microbit/makecode issue but would welcome any suggestions

nickine9

Re: microbit/crickit cap touch

by johnpark on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:59 am

Very cool, just a clarification question: this is in CircuitPython, not MakeCode that you're doing this?

johnpark

by nickine9 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:46 am

i am afraid im using makecode. I'm trying to teach someone who knows even less than me about coding and he's not ready for python yet.

nickine9

by nickine9 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:28 am

having found some spare time I recreated the symptoms with a smaller example that only had cap touch pins connected (no servos etc) and read the values of the cap touch pins and wrote them to serial. Once again if I can recognise a single touch but touching more than one pin results reverting to those when no pins are touched.

I cannot see anything in the documentation but is it possible that single touch is supported but multi-touch not?

I am still using the crickit, microbit combo in makecode

thanks in advance

nick

nickine9

by johnpark on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm getting very similar results to the odd behavior you described here. Could you please add a comment to this GitHub issue describing what's happening to you? https://github.com/adafruit/pxt-crickit/issues/10

johnpark

by nickine9 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:11 am

done

nickine9

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.