Otto robots
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Otto robots

by flounder on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 am

Have you seen the Otto robots? Cute as all-get-out, but require either using the Arduino IDE and programming in C/C++, or using a block language (imagine MakeCode, except in desperate need of steroids) that generates C code that must be compiled and uploaded. I am considering replacing the processor with some type of Feather Express, creating an interface board that essentially gives me the ability to replug the Feather into a Nano socket (I have no idea if this makes sense or I should just ignore the existing board and use the Feather directly--suggestions would be welcome). I know I have my Otto kit around here, somewhere...and if I could implement the action blocks of their language in some fashion then there would be one uniform interface I could use for teaching.

And there really should be a way that when MakeCode downloads a file, it can get sent directly to the Express card, instead of having to bring up File Explorer and do a drag/drop.

flounder

Re: Otto robots

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 am

Interesting design. It looks like their main board has a classic Arduino footprint with headers to plug in a Nano. You could either make an adapter board to plug a Feather into the Nano headers, or go with one of the full-size Metro boards and plug their board into that.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4000

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.