I2C makecode cpx?

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mathpun

I2C makecode cpx?

Post by Mathpun »

Hello! I am trying to connect an external color sensor (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1356) to the CPX using makecode, I know there is one built-in to the CPX but I need to it to be external for my project !

I know I need to somehow use the i2C blocks under Advanced -> pins in makecode but can someone point me to a working example project or offer any advice on how to use these, I know I need the block that is "ambientcolor" once the color has been detected but can I use this i2C block to get these values from an external sensor?

I am so confused! Thanks so much!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 3.48.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 3.48.10 PM.png (517.24 KiB) Viewed 552 times

johnpark

Re: I2C makecode cpx?

Post by johnpark »

I'm trying and failing to do a basic I2C read of a sensor with these blocks. I'll let you know if I get anything working.

Mathpun

Post by Mathpun »

Hey John, thanks! Looking forward to your response! Any other ideas on how to use blockcode to do this would be great too!

I found this Makecode package for the TCS34725 Color Sensor.
https://github.com/microsoft/pxt-maker/ ... CS34725.ts

do you think I could use this? Although I have no idea how I get this package into my makecode lol

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

OK, you could use maker.makecode.com with the CPX and add that color sensor extension. go to that URL, pick the CPX as your board and then go to Advanced > Extensions and click on color-sensor (it seems to have a typo in the sensor name maybe).

But I don't see any new blocks showing up once the extension is added, so maybe it is JaveScript only.

Mathpun

Post by Mathpun »

Wow thanks for sending that - I have never used that website - what is the difference between that and the usual: https://makecode.adafruit.com/

It seems when you do what you said it does add 1 block (image attached) to the input options, one called "color sensor" -- but do you think this will access an external color sensor?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.50.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.50.40 PM.png (434.17 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Mathpun

Post by Mathpun »

Also this version of makecode doesn't seem to have the "ambient color" block - which is the bock in the adafruit make code version that reads in the color from the on board color sensor?

Does this code look right?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.56.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.56.09 PM.png (101.18 KiB) Viewed 543 times

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

I believe that block is there by default for the on-board sensor.

Maker.makecode is a place for lots of different boards, while the makecode.adafruit site is solely for CPX. I'm not sure of all the differences between the two if you set your hardware to CPX on Maker, but I tend to stick w the Adafruit site for CPX.

(sorry, crossed the streams there!)

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

Oh, wow, I don't know what was going on, you're right, I don't see that block in the base application now either.

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

Try connecting a Flora color sensor to the CPX over I2C (SCL, SDA, GND, 3.3V).

Mathpun

Post by Mathpun »

IT WORKS!!!!

The color sensor stays lit with a bright white light, is that normal? IT isnt detecting perfectly, fading the colors a bit BUT it is ceratinly reading them from the external flora color sensor! using block code !

We have a break-through~~~~~ :) thanks so much

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

Hurray!
That's a really good question about the onboard white LED it uses to illuminate the subject. I know in the Arduino library for that sensor you can turn the LED on and off, but it doesn't seem like that's an option from blocks in MakeCode. Possibly in JavaScript in MakeCode?

Mathpun

Post by Mathpun »

If I edit it in the java script i think it wont let me go back to the block code if it doesnt convert?

also - do you know where I can find what the line of code is to that?

also this has been so helpful, thank you so much

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

My friend got an I2C sensor working in MakeCode blocks using this method: https://makecode.com/_F4sdMrFwi8dE

Mathpun

Post by Mathpun »

OooooOOoOOooh ok will take a look, this is for that sepecific sensor, do you think I can do this with my flora color sensor?

Will try and post my results! Thanks so much!

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

So, it really will vary from sensor to sensor how to get it going in MakeCode over I2C. According to my friend:
It sends the value 16 because the device expects a single configuration byte, as described on page 5 of the datasheet
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/348/ ... 186247.pdf
It outputs two bytes when read (no "register") and those two bytes should be arranged as a 16-bit big-endian number.  thankfully, MakeCode has a function for that

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”