green screen camera reversed

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adavid7

green screen camera reversed

Post by adavid7 »

I like using the green screen feature of MakeCode while I am teaching, to show the CPX board in the same frame as the MakeCode environment. This is especially useful in Zoom, because viewers can then avoid a split screen display.

I have a good doc camera that I use but in MakeCode, the image is reversed left-right. My preview monitor does not reverse it. Is this a quirk/setting of my camera or have others seen this also?

Thanks.

.Andy
greenflip.png
greenflip.png (716.5 KiB) Viewed 787 times

mikeysklar

Re: green screen camera reversed

Post by mikeysklar »

I think this might be a setting in your OS for the camera. It's typical for screencasts to have a flip horizontal setting.

What platform are you on?

https://screencast-o-matic.com/blog/gre ... -features/

adavid7

Post by adavid7 »

I have an Elmo TT-12iD camera running on MacOS Catalina (10.15.7). The camera has both USB video (UVC) output and an HDMI monitor connected to it for previewing. I can flip the video output on the camera controls, and then it looks correct in MakeCode but not on the HDMI preview.

If I use the UVC output in Zoom on the Mac, it is oriented correctly. It is only flipped in MakeCode. And if I use my webcam or any other built-in camera on the Mac, the video also appears flipped in MakeCode but not in Zoom. This makes me think it is something in how MakeCode handles the video for green screen.

I do not think there is any setting in MacOS that controls UVC video.

Thanks for any other advice.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@adavid7,

Thank you for the additional observations and platform.

I am seeing mention of a rotate 180 degrees on the MakeCode Streamer beta site:

https://makecode.com/streamer/docs
Rotation
The camera feed maybe be rotated backwards, this is quite common when using a document camera point down. Using the rotate 180 degrees to fix the orientation of the camera.

However, I'm not sure where this would be implemented in a config file or if they mean to physically make an adjustment.

I've also seen on raspberry pi manipulation of the UVC stream using something like:

Code: Select all

mjpg_streamer -i 'input_uvc.so -rot 180'

Just putting that out there for an idea of manipulating the UVC stream before it goes into Makecode.

adavid7

Post by adavid7 »

@mikeysklar

Thanks for that. That does look like the feature I would need.

It looks as if Streamer is a separate web environment that would be very useful for this kind of teaching support. But I don't see how to use it with the Adafruit version of MakeCode; I only see it connected to micro:bit.

.Andy

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Andy,

Go ahead and drop a request for streaming orientation like the Microsoft Beta has in the Adafruit pxt-adafruit github repo. I think that is the correct place this and you should expect some feedback.

https://github.com/microsoft/pxt-adafruit/issues

adavid7

Post by adavid7 »

Oh, thanks! I was wondering where to submit bug reports/feature requests.

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

In the makecode.com/streamer you can pick any of the editors (Adafruit CPX, Maker, Arcade, Micro:bit, et al.) by clicking on the Settings gear at the top right of the UI and chosing from the dropdown menu.

adavid7

Post by adavid7 »

Awesome, wow. That's quite a tool, the streamer!

Thanks, John.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”