Unable to compile Gemma M0 bootcode

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gingle

Unable to compile Gemma M0 bootcode

Post by gingle »

I have been trying to compile the UF2 bootloader for gemma m0. I downloaded the uf2-samdx1 files from git hub and put them in the same directory as circuitpython. I have been able to compile circuitpython OK. When I tried a "make V=1 BOARD=gemma_m0" I got the following errors shown in photo 1. I am wondering if I have the wrong compiler version. I am using the compilers shown in photo2. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Photo2
Photo2
compiler.jpg (69.89 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
compiler output
compiler output
Photo1.jpg (155.72 KiB) Viewed 1596 times

mikeysklar

Re: Unable to compile Gemma M0 bootcode

Post by mikeysklar »

I take it you really want a custom bootloader for the Gemma-M0 rather than using our pre-packaged ones?

I noticed you are passing a version number V=1, but we start all our boards with V=0 by default and there is only a version zero for the gemma-m0.

Which release of the gcc-arm are you using. The website seems to post versions by date rather than by release numbers.
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 8.03.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 8.03.48 AM.png (188.73 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

gingle

Post by gingle »

Thanks for your reply. I want to readdress the pin that drives the LED. The version of gcc-arm that I am using is "gcc-arm-none-eabi-10-2020-q4-major". I am following the directions for creating the boot code in ~/uf2-samdx1/README.md. I take V=1 to mean "use Verbose mode" as make V=1 BOARD=gemma_m0. I tried deleting V=1 with the same results as before.
I see that the file that is failing is in core_cm0plus.h which is dated 22 August 2014. Is this outdated?

plitog

Post by plitog »

Are you referring to the error stating "listing the stack pointer register 'sp' in a clobber list is deprecated"? If so, it looks like the uf2-samdx1 make file is using the -Wno-deprecated-declarations switch to ignore those warnings. Does your makefile have that same flag specified?

gingle

Post by gingle »

I am trying to simply compile the UF2 file from the git hub repository using makefile contained within the download. I find that there are two UF2 files containing all the Adafruit boards. They are "uf2-samdx1-3.13.0" and "uf2-samdx1-master". It appears that the makefile in uf2-samdx1-master is dated 2021-04-23 (6867 bytes) and the uf2-samdx1-3.13.0 is dated 2021-02-21 (7061 bytes). Can you tell me which one is used to generate the board UF2 bootloaders listed on https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/releases or is there another UF2 container that I have not listed?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@gingle,

If you press the "Tags" button on the upper portion of the github releases page you can see each version drop. I'm assuming we are using 3.13.0 for the current bootloader drops, but I don't know how to verify that.

If you wanted to try and build previous versions (3.12.0) etc.. you can try this link:

https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/tags

gingle

Post by gingle »

Problem solved. I was using https://github.com/microsoft/uf2-samdx1.git instead of the correct file https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1.git. Everything compiles correctly now. Thanks, I am learning my way around git with your help.

gingle

Post by gingle »

Is there a link similar to the UF2-samdx1/tags for the various versions of Circuitpython? I am not clear how you use "git checkout 6.2.x" that was mentioned in "Building CircuitPython" by Dan Halbert. I am having difficulty compiling boards in 7.0. Some compile and some don't compile. I am using "make" without any changes to any code. I was able to build feather_m0_basic but not feather_m4_express among others that I tried. I would like to regress to 6.2.0 and see if I get the same results.
I am using VPubuntu running in BANNED VM Virtual Box. I am attaching the errors that I am seeing.
Attachments
errors.jpg
errors.jpg (132.09 KiB) Viewed 608 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”