Makecode blocks for NeoTrellis 4*4

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Wolfman2004

Makecode blocks for NeoTrellis 4*4

Post by Wolfman2004 »

Hi.

I am using both Micro:Bit’s and Adafruit boards, via MakeCode blocks (microbit edition / maker.makecode edition), and I bought myself a Adafruit NeoTrellis Keypad 4*4.

But I do not see a Trellis extension ready for use under either of those two.

I have tried to figure out how to use the GitHub thing, but I have absolutely no clue as to what I am doing there.

Can anyone help me so I don’t have to make cuts to the trellis board and solder wires to it, so it can be used like simpel keypad matrix and a simpel string og neopixels.

Besides having no clues to Github, I also no just about nothing of Arduino, and very little of actual CircuitPython itself.

mikeysklar

Re: Makecode blocks for NeoTrellis 4*4

Post by mikeysklar »

This is an example of Trellis MakeCode I found through the Adafruit blog:

https://maker.makecode.com/06090-41344-31521-80386

Maybe that will be a start for you to customize down on the 4x4 Neotrellis?

Wolfman2004

Post by Wolfman2004 »

Sorry, but I do not think that the code for Trellis M4 can be used, since that code is for the Trellis M4 BOARD it self and thus has all the definitions in place.

However I have to control my NeoTrellis 4*4 by a separate board, and therefor the code is missing all vital definitions, as well as the I2C communications. Just all the must important code parts that I am asking for help with.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Too bad about the Trellis M4 not being of any value.

I think you are out of luck on the MakeCode front of using a NeoTrellis type interface.

Before you cut up the board did you want to try the CircuitPython setup? The guide is quite clear and the libraries are available. It is designed for new users.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... ython-code

Wolfman2004

Post by Wolfman2004 »

I know that using CircuitPython could be used, however I am not interested in having to learn a new program from scratch just for a "useless" keypad. MakeCode programming seems to be in increase, so would be great with MakeCode extensions for all new Adafruit hardware.

Using MakeCode has to be enough, and I am somewhat disappointed that Adafruit is making a lot of very good hardware products and android as well as Python libraries for them, but does not make that little extra for the MakeCode community.

So many like me as well as a lot of young programmers may be left outside.

Maybe Adafruit could be asked to make a 4*4 keypad with neopixel lights, but in a K.I.S.S. version with simple keypad connections (row / column) and neopixel data line, address line and no I2C, so that the MakeCode users can play as well. Then I can make my own program for it.

For anyone in Denmark - I have a NeoTrellis 4*4 that I cannot use. Write if interested ..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”