Adafruit clue

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mcgaleti

Adafruit clue

Post by mcgaleti »

Hi,
I don’t see a lot of activity in this forum section ... might be because Clue is a new board ? If this is the case, what other board is very similar with Clue that I could read questions and answers ? I am interested in how I could read Clue sensor, through Bluetooth, in my laptop ...

dastels

Re: Adafruit clue

Post by dastels »

Yes, it's a new board in relatively limited supply, so I think it just hasn't taken off yet compared to boards that people have been working with for a while. Likewise, this section is quite new.

The CLUE is based on the nRF52840 as found on the Feather & ItsyBitsy nRF52840 boards. Most things related to those boards will be relevant to the CLUE, as well as the new nrf52840 Sense Feather.

Dave

kevinjwalters

Post by kevinjwalters »

I bought a friend a Circuit Playground Bluefruit and a Gizmo screen which is pretty close to the CLUE in functionality. I got them separately but they are available as a bundle (Digi-key and (essential orders only currently) Adafruit ) too with a few more fun bits.

dastels

Post by dastels »

The limitation of the CBP+Gizmo is that most of the external connections are used by the gizmo. You have A1 & A2, but no I2C. That said, the CPB has enough of a variety of sensors to satisfy most educational/exploratory needs. The CLUE has a number of sensors as well as the edge connector. Just a caveat to keep in mind.

Dave

kevinjwalters

Post by kevinjwalters »

I've had some recent success in writing code that works on both. In my case I need two pins and A1/A2 work fine. There's a subtle difference on the gizmo with those pins, a 1k resistor is added inline and there's a 3.6k zener diode to ground providing some over-voltage protection. Is the latter intended to provide compatibility with 5v digital signals?

dastels

Post by dastels »

No idea. Sorry.

kevinjwalters

Post by kevinjwalters »

On the CPB+Gizmo substitution front, I've been using one recently and I'll add that some STEMMA cables (e.g. STEMMA JST PH 3-Pin to Male Header Cable - 200mm) are jolly handy as A1/A2 pads aren't really easily accessible anymore, at least for alligator clips. I suppose you could use the screws to hold that some cable ends but I've not tried that.

FYI, the red cables coming out of those STEMMA connectors are VOUT (not 3.3V).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “CLUE Board”