Possible Hardware Failure (Clue Alpha)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Possible Hardware Failure (Clue Alpha)

by jmaloney on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:55 pm

On Feb 28th, I bought a Clue Alpha board with the idea of porting MicroBlocks to it, but I got busy with other things so it sat around for a while.

Yesterday, I finally got around to working on that project. Things were going well. Then, late in the day, I started to experience intermittent communication failures with the board that gradually got worse and today the board is completely unresponsive. Pressing the reset button once or multiple times does not make the NeoPixel light up at all and the red status LED remains off. The only sign that the board even has power is that the display backlight turns on. It doesn't show up either a USB drive or a serial port. (I tried three known good USB cables that work fine with other boards.)

Any suggestions for how to bring the board back to life? If not, can I return it? It's only had one full day of use so it's possible that some component died young. Or possibly I bricked it somehow.

Meanwhile, I've put in an order for new Clue board. I wanted a production model anyhow...

Thanks!

jmaloney

Re: Possible Hardware Failure (Clue Alpha)

by jmaloney on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm

@Support

Is it possible to return this Clue Alpha for repair? With a less expensive board I wouldn't bother asking, but this board cost $30 and failed after just one day of use -- possibly my own fault. If it's repairable (e.g. by re-Flashing the bootloader) then it might be worth the shipping both ways (which I'd pay).

I might have bricked it by corrupting the bootloader. However, since it doesn't mount as a USB drive I assume I'd need to use a hardware debugger (which I don't own) to reinstall the bootloader, right? If I can fix it myself without buying any special tools, I'd be grateful for a pointer to instructions.

Finally, as a last resort, I can just send it back to you if you can find a good home for it (e.g. a school or maker space). Seems a shame to chunk such a lovely board in the trash if it is salvageable.

Thanks!

jmaloney

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.