bonsai buckaroo motor connector issue

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
carriere4

bonsai buckaroo motor connector issue

Post by carriere4 »

Hi,
I'm having a hard time getting the pump wires to connect to the motor controller connectors on the bonsai buckaroo board. I am pressing down the tabs, but there doesn't seem to be much, if any, movement on the tabs and there is no "catch" onto the wires when I insert them into the connector and release the tab. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

carriere4

Re: bonsai buckaroo motor connector issue

Post by carriere4 »

solved my own problem. I was not pressing hard enough on those tabs. had to use a screwdriver to put enough force on the tab. leaving this comment here in case anyone else has the same problem.

UncleJosh

Post by UncleJosh »

I had a hard time as well, ended up breaking the board.
BrokenBonsaiBuckaroo.jpg
BrokenBonsaiBuckaroo.jpg (340.15 KiB) Viewed 530 times

tabinfl

Post by tabinfl »

Same problem here, broke the same tab off without even pressing very hard. Even pressing directly on the mechanism under the tab with a tool, it's difficult to get the wires in there securely.

Planning to remove that connector from the board and solder on a short pigtail with a connector for the motor.

Powderjockey

Post by Powderjockey »

UncleJosh wrote:I had a hard time as well, ended up breaking the board.
BrokenBonsaiBuckaroo.jpg
Mine looks exactly like yours. Not very easy to get the wires to grab.

tlpada

Post by tlpada »

Same thing happened to me -- but the worst thing about this design is that I keep having problems, the wire easily falls out if the motor gets jostled even slightly, which can happen because the hoses can move and move the motor as a result of watering, or water level dropping, etc. This design is bad both because of the surface mount jack type but also that the wire is so short, the weight of the motor easily pulls on it. It also needlessly requires keeping the fragile electronics of CLUE board close to water. Power coming loose = plant dies, especially if you're away (but this is the whole point of having a plant waterer).

Could ADAFRUIT @admin / @support please:
  • - Suggest an alternative surface mount jack that could be soldered on and work better, or some kind of round standard male jack that could be crimped on to the wire and then fit into this existing surface mount?
  • - Consider redesigning or recalling this board, or give us some solution.
Thanks

Powderjockey

Post by Powderjockey »

The Sonoff 4CH Pro I just received has some awesome connectors. You have to press with some strength, but they don't break and the hold the wires very tight.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

@UncleJosh @tabinfl @Powderjockey @tlpada Please start new threads for your issues.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “CLUE Board”