Bonsai Buckaroo motor connector issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bonsai Buckaroo motor connector issues

by geogriff on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 am

Hi Adafruit,

Thanks for working smart, keeping everyone employed, and providing us with your great products while we work our way through this pandemic!!!!!!!

I am writing because I am having trouble with your buckaroo boards and Stemma mini relays. (our robotics team is using them for a summer project). Last night, 06aug20, during the assembly the Bonsai Buckaroo project we discovered that the quick disconnects for the motors did not work properly. They were almost impossible to press down and when they did move down the plastic tabs broke. This happened on all 6 (six) of the boards! The same problem happened on one of the two Steam Mini relays I purchased.

My observations;
excessive force was needed to push tab down
when tabs did move down they broke
after removing the connecter’s plastic housing, I with considerable force, was able to push a small (2.4mm wide) flat blade screw driver between the pincher blades, the device that holds the wire in place, separating them so a wire could be inserted. After the pincher was forceable opened I replaced the plastic cover and was able to use an unbroken tab to press down on the pincher and insert the wire.
It appears that what ever mechanism was use in manufacturing these connectors it mechanically fused the pinchers together to such an extent that the tabs can not open them without breaking.
I could not see any solder on the pinchers so I do not think it was a solder bridge holding them together.

I have attached photos of the broken parts and three videos of trying to get the connectors to work.
I also have three videos that are very large so I'm not sure how to get them to you.

Thanks
Tim
07aug20

Purchase History
ORDER #xxxx6492 6 Bonsai Buckaroo Boards 06jun20
ORDER #xxxx7183 1 Stemma Mini relay 06jun20
ORDER #xxxx7183 1 Stemma Mini relay 14jun20
Attachments
Buckaroo 01.jpeg
Buckaroo 01.jpeg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Buckaroo 02.jpeg
Buckaroo 02.jpeg (116.1 KiB) Viewed 107 times

geogriff

Re: Bonsai Buckaroo motor connector issues

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks for all the information and documentation. We can replace these:
This happened on all 6 (six) of the boards! The same problem happened on one of the two Steam Mini relays I purchased.

Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread (order numbers are above) and they can send you:
* 6 replacement Bonsai Buckaroos
* 1 replacement STEMMA Mini relay

adafruit_support_carter

by geogriff on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks for the quick response and resolution.
Is this just a batch of poor connectors or is there a general problem with this type of connector?
Tim

geogriff

by dearmash on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:24 pm

I also got the bonsai and I'm not satisfied with how the motor connector works. It's difficult to push down without excessive force, and there's literally no feedback whether it worked besides pulling it back out again.

Would have been much happier with a jst connection or screw terminals.

I haven't broken anything yet, just voicing feedback.

dearmash

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.