CLUE board does not work on Windows 10
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CLUE board does not work on Windows 10

by FrustratedCustomer on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:07 am

Hi,

I've been working on this issue for hours, looking at online tips and nothing can help me solve this problem. I am super frustrated because this board is for a class and I don't understand why Windows 10 is not even "seeing" this board. When I go to devices and printers it is listed as Adafruit Clue but other than that Windows 10 doesn't see it. I've called Microsoft and they did a software update and it's still the same problem.

Could I get an Adafruit CLUE engineer to help me with this issue? I think there's something wrong with the product design.

FrustratedCustomer

Re: CLUE board does not work on Windows 10

by franklin97355 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:36 pm

'll notify them.

franklin97355

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:40 pm

It sounds like it is at least being seen to a certain extent. Start by going through all the known issues here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... leshooting
There are a variety of things that can cause interference.

What is your ultimate plan for using the CLUE's? With Arduino? CircuitPython? other?

adafruit_support_carter

by FrustratedCustomer on Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:01 pm

My ultimate plan is to use it with CircuitPython. A lot of people (>7) that I know have attached the CLUE to their personal laptops and all of them are seeing the same problem: Computer does not see the board

FrustratedCustomer

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Are they all the same operating system? Do any of the known issues in the linked page above apply to your situation?

adafruit_support_carter

by FrustratedCustomer on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:43 pm

Carter,

I found out that by clicking on the reset button fast twice gets the computer to see the board, but the problem I'm seeing is that soon after the board disappears. How are we supposed to code anything over at the Arduino IDE when the board keeps disappearing from the computer every 3 minutes? Other open source microcontrollers do not have this problem and I was wondering if you guys can release a better version in the market soon.

My other question is I want to use the Circuit Playground Express library but I don't know how to add this library. Where do I find the CIRCUITPY drive? I typed in Circuit Playground Express on the Manage Libraries option and can only find Circuit Playground which is already installed. I do not see the board listed under "Port."

FrustratedCustomer

by FrustratedCustomer on Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:19 pm

My drive is called "CLUEBOOT" not the other one as described in the articles. I still cannot add Circuit Playground Express or Adafruit Clue from Manage Libraries and I can't see anything under Ports.

Ok, I added the file CLUE NRF52840 and I did see the CIRCUITPY driver. But, I cannot find the file adafruit_lsm6ds.mpy from the bundle. Where can I find this .mpy file?

I see that this file is listed in a github page but I have no idea how to extract this file: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... hon_LSM6DS

Could you clue me in? Also, I still do not see the card listed in the Arduino IDE

FrustratedCustomer

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Back up a read through the general guide on CircuitPython:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython

It will help to understand the difference between bootloader mode (when you see CLUEBOOT) vs. regular mode when the CircuitPython firmware is running (when you see CIRCUITPY). It also explains libraries and the general process for obtaining them and installing them. It also explains going between Arduino and CircuitPython. The general setup and usage of Arduino is covered in the CLUE guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-clu ... port-setup

Circuit Playground Express is a different board. You do not need the libraries associated with it.

adafruit_support_carter

by FrustratedCustomer on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:53 pm

I went to File > Preferences on the IDE and added this line: https://www.adafruit.com/package_adafruit_index.json but I still don't see the board being listed. I've closed the application and re-opened it, still see the same.

I also typed in Adafruit nRF52 by Adafruit in the Manage Libraries and Board Manager and don't even see it. Not sure what I'm missing

FrustratedCustomer

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Did you restart the Arduino IDE?

You use Board Manager to install Board Support Packages (BSPs). The BSP will contain support for many boards, not just a specific board. Therefore, you will not see CLUE as the name. It will look as shown in the guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-clu ... port-setup
Once the BSP is installed, the CLUE, along with other boards, will then show up under Tools -> Board -> Adafruit CLUE
(if you have a lot of boards, you may need to scroll and hunt a bit)

Once you've installed the BSP, you can then move on to installing libraries, which is when you use Library Manager.

adafruit_support_carter

by FrustratedCustomer on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:52 pm

OK, it now works and says "Hello World." My question now is how do I compile and execute code? I have zero coding experience but this is not taught in class. I saw the pages but all it says is to edit code in Mu.

FrustratedCustomer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.