Licence for the Adafruit clue Pyloton open source bike comp

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Peter_Gamma

Licence for the Adafruit clue Pyloton open source bike comp

Post by Peter_Gamma »

When a project which uses ANT+ sports sensors is published in a scientific journal, an evaluation agreement from THIS IS ANT is necessary:

https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/7513/

When someone uses the Adafruit clue Pyloton open source bike computer for a project which is published in a scientific journal, is there also a licence necessary?

mikeysklar

Re: Licence for the Adafruit clue Pyloton open source bike

Post by mikeysklar »

@Peter_Gamma,

We have a code of conduct that includes attribution:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... CONDUCT.md

Most Adafruit code for the Pyloton is CircuitPython and which uses the MIT License which is pretty unrestricted. See below.

https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpyth ... er/LICENSE

Code: Select all

MIT License

Copyright (c) 2017 Scott Shawcroft for Adafruit Industries

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

Peter_Gamma

Post by Peter_Gamma »

Thanks, Mikey. This makes Adafruit products very attractive for me personally. The THIS IS ANT standard is very interesting for sport sensor devices. But as far as I know, licence fees for a product which generate sales from a THIS IS ANT project are quiet high, and not worth it for me personally. The difference between ANT+ and BLE is only small, you can pair ANT+ sensors to multiple devices. But I can live without. I hope there will be more Adafruit products in the future for sporting activities.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@Peter_Gamma,

What journal will be submitting your Pyloton research too?

I'm an ultrarunner and can relate to using ANT devices (Garmin watch / chest strap) which has amazing battery life over BLE. Even as the industry moves towards more BLE focus it is nice to see a lot of hybrid BLE and ANT+ support. From a hardware perspective it really reduces the diversity of controllers to choose from on a given project as most just have BLE builtin. As you pointed out having license issues make ANT+ that much less appealing to deal with.

Peter_Gamma

Post by Peter_Gamma »

I don t know yet to which journal I will submit my research, it doesn't depend on my person either. I am reviewing since several years projects which allow access of ANT+ and BLE sports sensor data, as well as EEG sensor data, as you can see on my GITHUB page:

https://github.com/PeterGamma

Infortunately, I had hardly any support from THIS IS ANT regarding this topic. THIS IS ANT offers their SDK to develop for instance Android apps and emulator software for ANT+ stick solutions. But it is a hard job to build it from scratch.

I have listed all projects which can do this on my GITHUB page. Unfortunately, there is no project which I could recommend righ away for a student research project or for a research institution which does sports physiology research or a similar projects and wants to access sports sensor data from ANT+ or BLE sensors.

For someone who who has limited coding skills, it is a hard job to find an easy solution to solve this problem. It would be great when Adafruit could offer an easy solution to access BLE sports sensor data, just like Adafruit did offer a great solution to access Muse EEG data with a Rasperri PI:

https://blog.adafruit.com/2018/05/28/re ... pberry-pi/

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

This is really interesting research you are doing around meditation and biometrics. Thanks for sharing what you are up to.

I too hope there will be more BLE example guides to make connecting to sports hardware easier. We shall see!

Peter_Gamma

Post by Peter_Gamma »

Yes, it is about time. According to my own little experience, there are more ANT+ examples around for sports sensors than for BLE sports sensors. But on the long term, BLE is interesting because of licencing, and it is easy to use on Linux phones like the Linux PinePhone or Linux watches like the Linux AsteroidOS watches. There are a lot of interesting BLE projects which can be done with those great devices.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “CLUE Board”