This'll make you laugh - I want to send a notification to an

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Russell2Point0

This'll make you laugh - I want to send a notification to an

Post by Russell2Point0 »

I am brand spanking new to this CircuitPython/Clue caper so I have chosen an elementary project to kick off with... Well, actually, the project chose the Clue.
We want to monitor the temperature inside a kiln as it heats up, so we can see when it might be cooked and get some notification if the temperature stops rising (because the dog chewed the power cable for example.)

The interfacing and coding part of it is straightforward. I get to monkey with buttons to set the target temperature, ring the chime when we are getting close, display target and actual temps, read the thermocouple measurement and translate it to degrees. All pretty straightforward stuff.

However, if we get distracted by Spiderman 24: Revenge of the Gekkos, it would be useful to have our phones give us a nudge when the temperature is approaching target, or if it starts going the wrong way.

Can anyone point me to a worked example that already does something like this?
I have had a dig around, but there is a shirtload of resources, and I have yet to find the shinola.
Thanks for your help,
Russ

Disciple

Re: This'll make you laugh - I want to send a notification t

Post by Disciple »

Speaking as a hobbyist unencumbered by education or experience, I might consider combining portions of other projects that add up to my requirements. They're not Clue based. Maybe that's fixable, but here's what I found.

EZ Make Oven
has code for monitoring temperatures over time and sounding warnings in case of deviants... er, deviations.

PyPortal Pet Planter with Adafruit IO
has code for sending notifications and alerts. There are several variations of this project. Just search the Learning System for "plant".

Hope this helps.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Russell2Point0

Re: This'll make you laugh - I want to send a notification t

Post by Russell2Point0 »

Disciple wrote:Speaking as a hobbyist unencumbered by education or experience
There's your advantage - I am overencumbered by both. I am also high-milage. This causes two problems - one doesn't want to invest too much time in fruitless searching because (a) I've done a lifetime of that already and (b) there ain't much time left to waste on maze-solving to find a solution to a problem that is more-or-less recreational. The second problem is that I have invested a lifetime learning IT-related information that has a very short shelf-life and something visceral kicks in later in life that says "Not this nonsense again - chuck it in and let's study the form guide instead." I have never studied a form guide in my life, but I can feel it building up.

Both your proposals look enticing. Thank you for pointing them out. I will review them with the aid of a well-peated Scotch and some Mozart.
Disciple wrote: Hope this helps.

Hallelujah!
Disciple
Amen to that, Brother (or Sister, as the case may be)!
I feel salvation is at hand!

And thank you. Beautifully done. Your answer is perfect.
Russ

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “CLUE Board”