Wippersnapper on Metro-S2

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
TI545

Wippersnapper on Metro-S2

Post by TI545 »

I've gone thru the learn.adafruit for wippersnapper for my Metro Esp32-S2 board. When I copy the wippersnapper.metro_s2_tinyusb.-beta.14.uf2 file onto the Circuitpy device (it's named Circuitpy rather than Wipper), it gets "copied with errors": not enough space on device.

The uf2 file is 1.8 MB, so it should fit. The secrets.json file is there, and I can edit it with my wifi and io.adafruit information. But when I reset the S2 board, the neopixel just stays blue all the time. (and the board unmounts and remounts every minute).

Am I doing something wrong?

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Wippersnapper on Metro-S2

Post by brubell »

Could you try the following:

1) Reboot your PC so it will recognize the USB port
2) From https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fun ... -3089838-6, download tinyuf2-adafruit_metro_esp32s2-0.5.2.zip
3) unzip the above into a folder
4) on funhouse hold down BOOT and click RESET
5) open https://adafruit.github.io/Adafruit_WebSerial_ESPTool
6) Connect it to the serial port shown in device manager for the ESP32
7) Erase the flash
8) Select the unzipped file combined.bin from 3 above
9) Program the flash (still in the WebSerial_ESPTool)
10) Now you should see METROBOOT as a file system on your computer
11) Download wippersnapper.metro_s2_tinyusb.1.0.0-beta.14 from github
12) Drag the file from 11 to METROBOOT. Now the directory is called WIPPER
13) Edit secrets configuration file with io and wifi info
14) go to io.adafruit.com/<yourname>/dashboards/ and click on wippersnapper on the top
15) you should now see the funhouse device listed as Metro ESP32S2

TI545

Post by TI545 »

OK. Great, that did it. I guess my Metro-S2 was not getting loaded correctly without going through the extra "combine.bin" step.

It's online at io.adafruit, I will go and play.

Thank you.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

I can blink my builtin LED now, thank you. Even from a dashboard, works great.

But my plan was to measure temperature with a TMP36 on an analog pin. I chose the potentiometer device, because it even said it would read voltage. (actually I tried every device and none worked.) It looks like voltage readings are not implemented yet?

I get the error:
MQTT ERROR: unexpected error saving data on TI545/feeds/adafruit-metro-esp32s2250174:A4, No Component found for Device adafruit-metro-esp32s2250174 and pin name A4 (I chose D4 pin based on the pin information for the MetroESP32-s2, but tried other pins also.) I see the "funhouse" instructions use the stemma pins, will that work? Wippersnapper doesn't display a Stemma analog pin for the Metro32-s2.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Interesting - thanks for letting us know.

But my plan was to measure temperature with a TMP36 on an analog pin. I chose the potentiometer device, because it even said it would read voltage. (actually I tried every device and none worked.) It looks like voltage readings are not implemented yet?
They are implemented - you'd select Voltage as the "Return Type" under the Potentiometer.

The TMP36 does some additional calculations, we haven't yet implemented this into the firmware but it's on the list (currently our priority is I2C as that'll open the door for a large number of sensors).
I get the error:
MQTT ERROR: unexpected error saving data on TI545/feeds/adafruit-metro-esp32s2250174:A4, No Component found for Device adafruit-metro-esp32s2250174 and pin name A4 (I chose D4 pin based on the pin information for the MetroESP32-s2, but tried other pins also.) I see the "funhouse" instructions use the stemma pins, will that work? Wippersnapper doesn't display a Stemma analog pin for the Metro32-s2.
Could you please attach a screenshot of the "Create an X component modal"? I'm going to attempt to reproduce this and see if it's a bug in the WipperSnapper application.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's two screen shots.

Add analog voltage device
Add analog voltage device
20211103-113348.jpg (160.81 KiB) Viewed 827 times
20211103-113200.jpg
20211103-113200.jpg (176.12 KiB) Viewed 827 times

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Could you try selecting an analog pin for the potentiometer, prefixed by A? The pin you selected is a digital pin.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

Just getting back to this. I'll look again tomorrow about your comment. (I see there's a beta-15 available now.) But, for beta-14, there is no analog pin available to select. All pins listed in the drop-down box are digital pins, a problem for analog voltage measurement.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

Just getting back to this, again, I loaded beta-18 onto the metro-s2, and I see analog pins now (for two selectable components: the potentiometer, and light sensor). Thanks.

I have connected my simple TMP36 analog sensor, and wippersnapper is recording values, but they seem to be random, they don't match what my local voltmeter reads. I will check connections and hope for improvement.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Just getting back to this, again, I loaded beta-18 onto the metro-s2, and I see analog pins now (for two selectable components: the potentiometer, and light sensor). Thanks.
No problem - glad it's working.
I have connected my simple TMP36 analog sensor, and wippersnapper is recording values, but they seem to be random, they don't match what my local voltmeter reads. I will check connections and hope for improvement.
We haven't added support for the TMP36 analog sensor yet. You can add a request to support the TMP36 sensor here: https://github.com/adafruit/WipperSnapp ... new/choose

We did recently add the AHT20 temperature and humidity sensor to WipperSnapper (guide for this is here: https://learn.adafruit.com/no-code-humi ... mp-tracker), you may want to try this sensor instead for now. We'll be adding more sensors in the upcoming weeks, spending time building out the APIs so users can contribute support for new components.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

My TMP36 device is working fine now. At room temperature it puts out a 0.6 volt signal, and that's what I'm reading on adafruit IO.

What changed was, somewhere the pin numbers don't match on the wippersnapper setup. I have chosen pin A2, and never changed it. With the steady 0.6 vold signal, the A2 voltage was floating, jumping around between 0.1 and 0.3 volts. I moved the 0.6 volt signal from the pin labeled A2 on my metroS2, to the pin labeled A3. Now I'm trending voltage correctly on wippersnapper. I did file a report at https://io.adafruit.com/support. I had a quick look at the source code and didn't see anything obvious, but then, my c++ skills are poor.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

We've added an issue on https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... issues/206. You may subscribe to this issue to be notified when we resolve it.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

component settings - update component
component settings - update component
Capture.JPG (20.67 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Posting an observation:

When I run my metro32-s2 with wippersnapper with USB-C power (plugged into the wall mains power) everything works great.

The last few days, I ran it from a Li-Ion battery to the JST connector, it runs for a while (10 minutes, 4 hours, it varies) and then it always stops updating my voltage reading at the adafruit IO feed. Resetting the metro board has no affect. Editing the settings on wippersnapper and clicking "update component" it always gets it to restart sending data to my feed, for a while.

It acted the same on wippersnapper beta-18, and on beta-22 that I'm running now.

(I realize I'm running "double-beta" here, the metro32-s2 board has BETA clearly written on it, and I'm running wippersnapper beta)

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

The last few days, I ran it from a Li-Ion battery to the JST connector, it runs for a while (10 minutes, 4 hours, it varies) and then it always stops updating my voltage reading at the adafruit IO feed. Resetting the metro board has no affect. Editing the settings on wippersnapper and clicking "update component" it always gets it to restart sending data to my feed, for a while.
I have a few questions based on this observation...

1) When the board gets stuck(?), what color is the LED?
2) Does unplugging the LIPO and plugging it back in work?
3) Are there any errors on io.adafruit.com/monitor (leave this tab open in a new window while you test please)

TI545

Post by TI545 »

First, I spoke too soon. It also stops updating when powered through the USB-C port.

My further observation is that it stops updating when I select longer update times (5 minutes, 10 minutes), whether on battery or USB-C. I let it run overnight on USB-C power at 5 minutes update and it stopped, and same thing the next night with 10 minutes update, it stopped. When I set it to 1 minutes update it ran overnight and never stopped updating, even on LiPo power.

By "1) what color is the LED", I assume you mean the neopixel. [the builtin LED is always red :-) ] It's hard to watch for with long update settings, but the LED does flash green when sending the update, just like normal, but the data does not arrive at io.adafruit.

I'll check your other suggestions about cycling the power by unplugging the LiPo

Ah, I didn't know about the monitor page, very nice, I will leave that open.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”