Mu doesn't see MAGTAG w Wippersnapper

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
paulskpt

Mu doesn't see MAGTAG w Wippersnapper

Post by paulskpt »

I flashed wippersnapper onto a MAGTAG following the steps on io.adafruit.com add a board steps. Wippersnapper works OK, board recognized.
MS Windows 11 File Explorer shows the CIRCUITPY drive and files.
I want to continue to work on my project script to send feeds, using Mu-Editor.
Unfortunately Mu-Editor doesn't recognize the MAGTAG board anymore as a CPY-board.
I also tried Thonny. Unable to connect to the MAGTAG.
(Excuse me for texts in the Mu-editor are in Portuguese language, but I guess you'll understand/recognize the popup message).
MAGTAG - File explorer - Mu-editor
MAGTAG - File explorer - Mu-editor
Wippersnapper_OK_Mu-editor_doesnt_recognize_board.png (168.74 KiB) Viewed 214 times

dastels

Re: Mu doesn't see MAGTAG w Wippersnapper

Post by dastels »

Wippersnapper is C++ firmware (https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... er_Arduino) and "replaces" CircuitPython so there's nothing for Thonny or Mu to talk to.

If you want to write code in in CircuitPython, you must first install CircuitPython on the board. See https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... cuitpython.

Dave

paulskpt

Post by paulskpt »

Thank you.
I have the board now selected in Arduino IDE.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Is there a reason you want to edit the code? As I understand it, Wippersnapper is configured/scripted in AdaruitIO.

Dave

paulskpt

Post by paulskpt »

I changed my approach. I don't want to use Wippersnapper anymore on devices like: MAGTAG or PyPortal Titano. I experienced that then I cannot use these valuable devices for the things they are good at (designed for). I now flashed Wipperesnapper onto a Feather Huzzah 8266.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

paulskpt wrote:I changed my approach. I don't want to use Wippersnapper anymore on devices like: MAGTAG or PyPortal Titano. I experienced that then I cannot use these valuable devices for the things they are good at (designed for). I now flashed Wipperesnapper onto a Feather Huzzah 8266.
Out of curiosity, what is your use-case for WipperSnapper. What is your use case for the MagTag/PyPortal? What can't they do with WipperSnapper that you can do with other environments?

paulskpt

Post by paulskpt »

I don't know if I really understand your question. At a certain moment, doing my first steps into Wippersnapper, I flashed Wippersnapper onto a PyPortal Titano. Then I discovered that I didn't have CIRCUITPY anymore. Later the same with a MAGTAG. So, my conclusion was: I better try Wippersnapper on a Feather Huzzah 8266, that I happened to have here also, and dedicate that mcu to upload sensor (Temp/Humidity) to AIO. Then I used a MAGTAG, flashed with CircuitPython V8, to download the AIO feeds and send them to Pushingbox.com. Maybe I misunderstand the scope of deployment of Wipperesnapper. I don't know if one can combine Wippersnapper with CircuitPython firmware.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”