Bootloop on Magtag

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Bootloop on Magtag

Post by brubell »

So I can't replicate this accurately with my MagTag, but I did experience something similar yesterday.

Here's how I fixed it:

1) Enter ROM bootloader mode, https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mag ... -3076820-1
2) Download the bootloader for MagTag, https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mag ... -3077972-6
3) Used the Web Serial ESPTool to erase the magtag, then upload the new tinyusb bootloader binary, https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mag ... al-esptool
4) Restarted the MagTag and dragged a new WipperSnapper UF2 onto the BOOT volume.

I'm not yet sure where/how it's getting stuck in the bootloader.

SandPig

Post by SandPig »

used esptool to drop the combined.bin on my magtag

"
TinyUF2 Bootloader 0.5.1 - tinyusb (0.10.1-109-g9b3ec69b)
Model: Adafruit MagTag 2.9 Grayscale
Board-ID: ESP32S2-MagTag_29gray-revC
Date: Jul 30 2021
"

reset and dropped beta3, but no joy
lights cycle Cyan, purple, off (or something close to that)

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Do you see the WIPPER drive mounted on your computer? Or any boot drive?

SandPig

Post by SandPig »

On a win10 box, it does pop up long enough to show a "wipper" disk with a secrets.json and wipper_boot_out.txt
I was able to double click the txt file before the loop only once, but the file was blank.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

SandPig + Scottlnrd - I spent today working on this issue. Attached is a new version of WipperSnapper for the MagTag. Please let me know if it has the same issue, or creates new issues.
Attachments
adafruit-wippersnapper-esp32s2-magtag-1-0-0-beta.4.uf2
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 31 times

SandPig

Post by SandPig »

First, you work too late. I hope you love what you do. I just wrapped a 16hr day and there is zero love there! (totally my fault)
Second, it worked! MagTag is online and button presses (seemed like a good test) are working as expected. You rock!
The neopixels do flash green every few minutes, but it doesn't seem to be an issue so I'll assume that's a positive feedback thing.
I'll report any oddities that I come across.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

The neopixels do flash green every few minutes, but it doesn't seem to be an issue so I'll assume that's a positive feedback thing.
This is to be expected, that's a status indicator letting you know the hardware is still connected to IO.

NOTE: Beta.4 has been released and includes the fix for the magtag bootloop.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”