Huh, even the 8266 Huzzah can wippersnap

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
TI545

Huh, even the 8266 Huzzah can wippersnap

Post by TI545 »

It's in the blog:
https://blog.adafruit.com/2022/02/14/wi ... h-esp8266/

I'm surprised, I had thought the 8266 wouldn't be easy to load wippersnapper onto, limited RAM. I have a couple Huzzah in my drawer I could pull out and use.

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Huh, even the 8266 Huzzah can wippersnap

Post by brubell »

We just added compatibility for the Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 this week - give it a shot and let us know if there are any issues!

mrbubba

Post by mrbubba »

I stumbled across the whole Adafruit IO thing last night and saw that the ESP8266 was supported. I had one in my parts box, so pulled it out today and have been trying to get it going. I'm stuck right now at a compile error:

Wippersnapper_NoFS:35:68: error: no matching function for call to 'Wippersnapper_ESP8266::Wippersnapper_ESP8266(const char [8], const char [33], const char [11], const char [19])'
35 | Wippersnapper_WiFi wipper(IO_USERNAME, IO_KEY, WIFI_SSID, WIFI_PASS);

later noting that "candidate expects 0 arguments, 4 provided" -- presumable the class constructor.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

mrbubba wrote:I stumbled across the whole Adafruit IO thing last night and saw that the ESP8266 was supported. I had one in my parts box, so pulled it out today and have been trying to get it going. I'm stuck right now at a compile error:

Wippersnapper_NoFS:35:68: error: no matching function for call to 'Wippersnapper_ESP8266::Wippersnapper_ESP8266(const char [8], const char [33], const char [11], const char [19])'
35 | Wippersnapper_WiFi wipper(IO_USERNAME, IO_KEY, WIFI_SSID, WIFI_PASS);

later noting that "candidate expects 0 arguments, 4 provided" -- presumable the class constructor.
To install WipperSnapper on the ESP8266, please use the WipperSnapper Firmware Upload web tool. There's instructions for this on the following guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... persnapper

mrbubba

Post by mrbubba »

Thanks for getting back so quickly. The instructions at the link you posted were actually the first thing I tried.
I got to the point in the process where it says "To run the new firmware, please reset your device."
Following the instructions I navigated to https://io.adafruit.com/wippersnapper.
While there, I pressed the RST button on my Huzzah, but do not see a new modal pop-up with a picture of my ESP8266.
(It was at this point where I found something that suggested I try the Arduino IDE path, which lead to my original post.)
That said, I retried the whole process from scratch just now and get the same result.
Investigating further...
The problem seems to be that a WiFi connection isn't getting made. The MAC address given in the upload process doesn't show up in the router's device list. I have verified both the SSID and passphrase and that they are for the 2.4GHz network. Any suggestions on how to go about diagnosing this apparent connectivity issue?

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Are you able to use Arduino IDE to open the serial monitor? Set it to 11520 baud, click the RST button and let me know the debug output from there.

mrbubba

Post by mrbubba »

{a bunch of junk that won't copy/paste, followed by:}

Code: Select all

Subscribing to MQTT topics...
Added sub 0
Added sub 1
Added sub 2
Added sub 3
Added sub 4
Running Network FSM...
Attempting to connect to WiFi...
CONNECTING
CONNECTING
CONNECTING
CONNECTING
CONNECTING
ERROR [WDT RESET]: ERROR: Unable to connect to WiFi, rebooting soon...

After several minutes, there's no obvious signs of any rebooting taking place.

mrbubba

Post by mrbubba »

FYI, I just tried running the WiFiClientBasic sketch from Examples/ESP8266WiFi and it never gets past:
Wait for WiFi... .......

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Thanks for trying the basic sketch, you're on a 2.4GHz network? What channels? Are there spaces in your SSID or password? Can you try connecting to another network?

mrbubba

Post by mrbubba »

<hangingheadinshame>
I'm pleased to report that there is still in fact a difference between the two ASCII characters "_" and "-".
When the correct one is used in the SSID, wonderful things happen. :-)
I'm so sorry for wasting your time. I had to have typed this wrong the exact same way at least 5 times.
</hangingheadinshame>
BTW, should it be needed again in helping the next lost puppy, I found that the WiFiScan sketch was helpful in this process.

nerfzooka

Post by nerfzooka »

Lost puppy #2 here. My Huzzah doesn't show on the wipperSnapper board list and arduino serial monitor spits out the exact same messages as mrbubba's did.

Code: Select all

Subscribing to MQTT topics...
    Added sub 0
    Added sub 1
    Added sub 2
    Added sub 3
    Added sub 4
    Running Network FSM...
    CONNECTING
    CONNECTING
    CONNECTING
    CONNECTING
    CONNECTING
    ERROR [WDT RESET]: ERROR: Unable to connect to WiFi, rebooting soon...

BUT when I check my Credentials very carefully multiple times I can find no mistakes.

What does the Huzzah need from the router?

mrbubba

Post by mrbubba »

Have you tried the WiFiScan sketch? (My error was VERY subtle, and I repeated it many times.)

nerfzooka

Post by nerfzooka »

WiFiScan sketch in Arduino shows local Wifis. What can that tell me?

mrbubba

Post by mrbubba »

For me, WiFiScan highlighted where I had repeatedly substituted an '_' for a '-' in the SSID.
You indicated that there were other WiFi signals shown. If any of them are yours (beside the one you've been trying), can you connect to anything?
Absent that, I'm at a loss since I don't know what the underlying wippersnapper code is doing.

nerfzooka

Post by nerfzooka »

Thanks for your research, mrbubba. The arduino serial monitor check is a good idea. Just to see if my Huzzah could connect to my local WiFi I ran the arduino sketch HelloServer. It made a webpage on my network with no errors. So WiFissid and WiFipassword are ok. I'm going to check the other WipperSnapper Credentials more carefully.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”