x0xb0x (as master) and midi sync
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

x0xb0x (as master) and midi sync

by kacperpawluk on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:18 am

Hi everyone!
Some time ago i made x0xb0x from willzyx shop. Eveything sounds and working really good but i have a question about sync x0xb0x with other devices by MIDI,
When i'm using Yocto (808 clone) or Nava (909 clone) as master then i can play x0xb0x like one x0xb0x note is 1/8 not 1/16 like it normally is. It is what i want.
Some time ago o bought EMU Drumulator drum machine and installed MIDI expansion there. It have only MIDI IN so i can't send sync clock for other machines but only receive it. That's the reason why I want to use x0xb0x as master MIDI machine, but i want to play like one note in not 1/16 but 1/8. How can I do that now? Maybe someone can help me?
Thanks!

kacperpawluk

Re: x0xb0x (as master) and midi sync

by antto on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 pm

kacperpawluk wrote:Hi everyone!
Some time ago i made x0xb0x from willzyx shop. Eveything sounds and working really good but i have a question about sync x0xb0x with other devices by MIDI,
When i'm using Yocto (808 clone) or Nava (909 clone) as master then i can play x0xb0x like one x0xb0x note is 1/8 not 1/16 like it normally is. It is what i want.

i'm not sure i understand here
are you talking about the sokkos sequencer feature which let's you set the x0xb0x to play twice faster/slower?

Some time ago o bought EMU Drumulator drum machine and installed MIDI expansion there. It have only MIDI IN so i can't send sync clock for other machines but only receive it. That's the reason why I want to use x0xb0x as master MIDI machine, but i want to play like one note in not 1/16 but 1/8. How can I do that now? Maybe someone can help me?
Thanks!

can't you still use the yocto/nava as master, slave the x0xb0x to it via MIDI (and use the THRU port to send the same MIDI data to the drumulator) or slave the x0xb0x to it via dinsync (and the x0xb0x should convert the dinsync to MIDIsync which you can take from the OUT port, plus, your yocto/nava MIDI output port will be free too)

antto

by kacperpawluk on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for reply!

antto wrote:
kacperpawluk wrote:Hi everyone!

i'm not sure i understand here
are you talking about the sokkos sequencer feature which let's you set the x0xb0x to play twice faster/slower?

One note in 16 step sokkos sequencer is 1/16. I want to play it twice slower so then one note will be 1/8. Then I can play something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSgGNd6thrc

antto wrote:
kacperpawluk wrote:Some time ago o bought EMU Drumulator drum machine and installed MIDI expansion there. It have only MIDI IN so i can't send sync clock for other machines but only receive it. That's the reason why I want to use x0xb0x as master MIDI machine, but i want to play like one note in not 1/16 but 1/8. How can I do that now? Maybe someone can help me?
Thanks!

can't you still use the yocto/nava as master, slave the x0xb0x to it via MIDI (and use the THRU port to send the same MIDI data to the drumulator) or slave the x0xb0x to it via dinsync (and the x0xb0x should convert the dinsync to MIDIsync which you can take from the OUT port, plus, your yocto/nava MIDI output port will be free too)

Yes i can but i don't want to take Nava or Yocto for live set because it's not practical :) I want to use only x0xb0x and Drumulator.

kacperpawluk

by rv0 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:36 pm

just make long notes...
with sokkos/stock firmware that consists of programming every note twice, using a slide on every first note.

with n0nx0x, its just a matter of programming ties.

rv0

by kacperpawluk on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:49 pm

rv0 wrote:just make long notes...
with sokkos/stock firmware that consists of programming every note twice, using a slide on every first note..

I know what you mean but sometimes I want to use slide and then I can't do it and then I have only 8 patterns in song.

rv0 wrote:with n0nx0x, its just a matter of programming ties.

What you mean "programming ties"?

kacperpawluk

by rv0 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:45 am

kacperpawluk wrote:
rv0 wrote:just make long notes...
with sokkos/stock firmware that consists of programming every note twice, using a slide on every first note..

I know what you mean but sometimes I want to use slide and then I can't do it and then I have only 8 patterns in song.

You can use slide, on the 2nd note. The end result is the same.

Can you only use 8 different patterns in a song? I didn't know that.
With n0nx0x it's 16, unless you manually switch to another track (= song) during playback, then you can really use all patterns in memory.

kacperpawluk wrote:
rv0 wrote:with n0nx0x, its just a matter of programming ties.

What you mean "programming ties"?

with stock/sokkos firmware, the concept of "tie" does not exist, however it is equal to sliding a note to itself (= effectively making long notes).
It's not really worth explaining the concept of ties in full as you do not seem to use n0nx0x2, but I just put it here for completeness for other readers.

rv0

by kacperpawluk on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 am

I mean that when I will use double notes then it takes double space and will be harder to use x0xb0x. I prefer to change tempo signature than use two notes to make one.

Is it possible to program tempo signature change for user a b c options somehow?

kacperpawluk

by rv0 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 am

Technically it is possible if you modify the firmware code.
Should not be very hard

I would just get some external clock that runs at half speed, or build a circuit to divide external dinsync clock from 24ppqn to 12ppqn.. It's not a very complicated circuit and could work without extra power supply.

rv0

by kacperpawluk on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 am

Ok... I have to find someone who can help mi with modify firmware code or... maybe you can help? :)
I think it will be easier because I want to have choice between normal mode and half speed mode.

kacperpawluk

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.