Technology Transplant / Chahae Yasaena "chipforbrains" extorts and threatens Adafruit
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Technology Transplant / Chahae Yasaena "chipforbrains" extorts and threatens Adafruit

by adafruit on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:33 pm

cy, (also known as technology transplant / chipforbrains or mr.he) registered "adafruitindustries.com" and is using our graphics and name, we asked him to remove the site and here was his response.

the site is owned and hosted by http://www.technologytransplant.com/

his contact information is below. if anyone else has any additional information please let us know, we are going to pursue this to the best of our ability.

Cy Technology Transplant wrote:I believe I can and have. Should you be interested in purchase of adafruitindustries.com an escrow should be setup by your attorneys
at the price of $100,000 us$ (pricing before online inventory is put up only as a blank template site). Pricing is non-negotiable after inventory is loaded and our catalog sales become active.

I might suggest you stop your slander and harassment of other individuals and businesses before a pending joint lawsuit is filed against you and the owner of http://www.adafruit.com. If your entire xoxbox forum is not dismantled suits will be filed in the state of New York by those affected that have suffered huge manufacturing and sales losses since your gross negligence in July 2010.

Should you instead prefer to purchase this site. Again, please have your banned contact us and any further emails from you will be considered harassment.

Happy 2011 to you!

Cordially,

Cy

Chahae Yasaena 2305 Celina Dr. 73130-7530 Midwest City, OK United States Phone: 405-277-0889 Fax: 877-254-0629 Email: chipforbrains@yahoo.com, technology.transplant@gmail.com, spectrumleds@yahoo.com, 236249813@qq.com

中国,广东省,深圳市,
福田区梅园二路半山景源华庭4栋15A
HeZhiYa 何志亚
ZIP Code:518035

Mr. He ZhiYa (何志亚)
ShenZhen Futian,
MeiYuan Er Lu,
BanShanJingYuanHauTing,
Building 4 #15A
zipcode: 518035
GuangDong Province
China

breakdown/translation of the address in chinese format.

China (中国)
Guang Dong Province (广东省)
Shen Zhen City (深圳市)
Futian District (福田区)
Mei Yuan 2nd Road (梅园二路)
BanShanJingYuanHuaTing (半山景源华庭) --Building name
Building 4, 15 A (4栋15A)

+86-13728821315
from usa: 0118613728821315

adafruit

Re: Chahae Yasaena threatens and extorts adafruit...

by altitude on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:29 pm

wtf is this guys problem, he violates your terms, sends his customers here for tech support of his units, and now this?

Wont be ordering from chipforbrains anymore.

A letter to his registrar from your legal ppl might be in order as well.

altitude

by Brassteacher on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 pm

adafruit wrote:cy registered "adafruitindustries.com" and is using our graphics and name, we asked him to remove the site and here was his response. his contact information is below. if anyone else has any additional information please let us know, we are going to pursue this to the end.

Cy wrote:I believe I can and have. Should you be interested in purchase of adafruitindustries.com an escrow should be setup by your attorneys
at the price of $100,000 us$ (pricing before online inventory is put up only as a blank template site). Pricing is non-negotiable after inventory is loaded and our catalog sales become active.

I might suggest you stop your slander and harassment of other individuals and businesses before a pending joint lawsuit is filed against you and the owner of http://www.adafruit.com. If your entire xoxbox forum is not dismantled suits will be filed in the state of New York by those affected that have suffered huge manufacturing and sales losses since your gross negligence in July 2010.

Should you instead prefer to purchase this site. Again, please have your banned contact us and any further emails from you will be considered harassment.

Happy 2011 to you!

Cordially,

Cy

Chahae Yasaena 2305 Celina Dr. 73130-7530 Midwest City, OK United States Phone: 405-277-0889 Fax: 877-254-0629 Email: chipforbrains@yahoo.com, technology.transplant@gmail.com, spectrumleds@yahoo.com, 236249813@qq.com

Well, I'm not a lawyer, but have had to deal with issues involving defamation and copyright before, so:

1. It appears you have a strong case for extortion.
2. You have a violation of copyright case so strong that a first-year paralegal should be able to hit this one out of the park!
3. It may take some research, but I seem to remember cases against cyber-squatters not going so well lately for the squatters.
4. If you need someone to verify the lack of quality in the x0xb0x kits he sells, which bear your copyright notice, please feel free to contact me, as I have first-hand experience with one. It is my opinion that the lack of quality in his kits may have caused some damage to your brand name and trademark, just look at the posts here where quite a few of us have had to try to bail out a TT x0x kit owner who has had issues compared with the kits from other sources. He also has sold fake parts in his kits.
5. The fact that he threatened to file a case in NY, and has a US address as contact info bodes well. I know of another company, Counterpoint, a maker of high-end audio gear, that folded, and their company was purchased by a larger manufacturer called Conrad-Johnson. Someone in China decided to steal the logo, look of the products, the name of the company, old advertising photos, etc. and set up a website to sell similar but lesser-quality equipment. Since they only exist in China, there is nothing the founder of the company or current trademark holder can do about it (links below). However, by CY wording his letter as he has, he has basically screwed up, whether he is in China or not.

Founder of Counterpoint's website, part of the FAQ that tells the story: http://www.altavistaaudio.com/FAQ.html#china
The site of the intellectual property thief: http://www.counterpointaudio.com/

If you need any help, let me know. Perhaps some way to organize a boycott could be started.
Don Taylor, a.k.a. Brassteacher
"Jack of all trades, master of none, proficient at even fewer..."
Brassteacher

by antto on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:03 pm

this guy's brain is very messed up
WTF! :?
We are here too: irc.freenode.net >>> #x0xb0x
..:: c0nb0x v1.00 ::.. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29282 (new control app - win/osx)
VCO Tuning: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24759 (do it the EASY way)

antto

by aminoacid on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:32 pm

unacceptable!

ill try help with what i can and hope others will too.
my machines kills fascists!
aminoacid

by adafruit on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:28 pm

we contacted cy's hosting provider and they said that cy had requested that they "clone" adafruit.com - the hosting provider said they could not do that but cy did any way - the provider agreed this was not ok. we have a lawyer and will be sending a DMCA soon in addition to requesting that the hosting company remove the logos, graphics and photos that are ours. cy and "mr. he" also decided to insult phil on their site as well as offer the site and name for sale for $100,000. we'll likely be able to take care of the copyright infringements within a few weeks, the domain name will take longer but we'll follow through.

we'd like to thank everyone for the kind words in support, publicly and privately. for the people who said cy never wanted to cause us harm we think the evidence continues to prove his motives are very malicious towards us and the community.

there is nothing ok about stealing our name, logos and graphics and extorting $100,000

thanks,
adafruit

adafruit

by altitude on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:50 pm

I like how shitforbrains x0x auction has the ""x0xb0x originally designed by Adafruit industries" in white text so you cant read it and the link is wrong "www.adafruit.con". What a nut case.

altitude

by adafruit on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:35 pm

if anyone has cy's address in china that would be helpful for us and our lawyer as well, you can private message it to us or send it to support@adafruit.com

adafruit

Re: Chahae Yasaena "chipforbrains" threatens & extorts adafruit

by Willzyx Music on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 pm

In what state of mind would this seem like a good idea.
CY is done, nobody will want to deal with him now.
What an asshole.
Willzyx Music

by altitude on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Good grief.

Everyone catch the update to adafruitindustries.com

Tweet a banned? I hope Phil is archiving that site, will make some nice legal ammo

altitude

by adafruit on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Altitude wrote:Good grief. Everyone catch the update to adafruitindustries.com Tweet a banned? I hope Phil is archiving that site, will make some nice legal ammo

yes - he's doing awful things, we thank everyone for the support and if you'd like to help send cy an email and tell him what he is doing is wrong and you will not purchase from him. it matters and is helpful.

thanks,
adafruit

adafruit

by Brassteacher on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Just thought I'd share the letter I sent CY via the illegal site:

"I have purchased parts off eBay from you before, as I am in the synthesizer repair business, and was considering a membership on technologytransplant.com, but your behavior in establishing this site has lost you a customer forever.

Also, since I have had been offering tech support both in person and online for your x0xb0x kits, I will no longer be offering that service to your other customers. If this site is how you want your business represented, I will gladly refer those customers to this website."

@guest, Altitude, antto, and anyone else I may have missed that regularly offers help to x0x builders here: I suggest that the instant we discover that we are trying to help someone with a TT kit or pre-built "x0x", we immediately send them a link to the illegal site as long as it remains open. I am torn on the decision to not offer them any assistance whatsoever, as this is not their fault. However, I would have no problem with my first response being "I strongly suggest you return it, as it has been my experience that the money that you apparently saved by purchasing this kit is about to rapidly be absorbed and surpassed by the cost of materials and parts needed to correct the problems"
Don Taylor, a.k.a. Brassteacher
"Jack of all trades, master of none, proficient at even fewer..."
Brassteacher

by adafruit on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Brassteacher wrote:Just thought I'd share the letter I sent CY...

thank you so much, when we all stand up for each other we become stronger and better people - thank you, thank you!

adafruit

by richms on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Ummm, wow. Even a piece of s--t site like that would have taken some time to put together, Clearly they have so much free time from not supporting their customers they can waste on that.

At least they are not on the first page when you search google for adafruit etc.

If there is another bounty on offer for this, then I will chip in a few bucks ;)

richms

by Computer Controlled on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:33 pm

What the hell??? Did he eat too much lead based paint as a child? Seriously! That is out of control. There is NO good reason to act like this. I will make sure to spread the word about this and blacklist his ass as best i can. Sorry Cy, but you messed with the wrong community!!!
Synths: SH-1 . SH-101 . TB-303 . JX-3P . x0xb0x . uWave II . Alesis Ion . Pro-One w/Synthwood case . MoPho . Monotron

Drum Machines: TR-707 . R-70 . E-MU Procussion
Computer Controlled

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.