All-Slide Function Fades Out

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BijouBittersolie

All-Slide Function Fades Out

Post by BijouBittersolie »

x0xb0x #26 is sounding excellent and seems to be doing well except (maybe) for the function. When I'm in pattern play (sync out) mode and I press Slide to enable slide-all the notes slide together properly but fade out over two or three measures. Is this normal?

PS: Anyone know what the Mix In jack is for?

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

that happens with mine too - not sure what the story is with it cause I do not own a 303 :P

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thats normal: there is a limited-time envelope. an original 303 would do the same.

Jonnay

Post by Jonnay »

Mix in is an old hold-over when the TB303 was used with the TR606. The idea is that you could connect up a 606 to your 303, and not have to worry about having a mixer. (I think).

In short, it seems to come into the mixer section, which is after the VCO, VCF, and VCA. So it's not like it is doing something special. It just adds whatever input it gets to the output of the x0xb0x before sending it to the mix out (and headphone out? Not sure about that.)

I can't tell where the mix-in, mix out and headphone out are actually coming from (and going to) in the schematic. My guess is J7 for the in, and J5 for the out. Any chance we can geta gif snapshot or a full eagle file for the IO board? That would rule.

altitude

Post by altitude »

mix in is to use the filter with an external sound source and was not an original Roland feature. Actually this leaves me with a question: is there anyway to leave the gate open for using an external sound source?

303user

Post by 303user »

Ok, first of all as Ladyada says the slide thing is exactly what the 303 does.
Second mix, in is NOT an external input to the filter, Jonnay is spot on here.
It is pretty trivial to turn it into a filter input, but really not worth doing IMHO, I have had plenty 303's over the years and did this mod to one of them but its pretty boring actually, just like any old filter on any old synth, cool to run something thru for one or two tracks but thats about it. If you do really want to do the mod it can be found at DJ Terrorist's 303 site (which I think is down, but archived in various place on the web).

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

I like the sound of the x0x's filter and plan on making an external input personally, its a lot grittier than other analog filters - not nearly as fuzzy and smooth as the moog sound, and also not anything like the MS20 sound which I also enjoy.

303user

Post by 303user »

Uhm, yeah reading back over my post it sounds like I was deriding the x0x/303 filter, I wasn't - what I actually meant was that a filter input is not as handy (for me) as a mix input if its a case of a choice. I have a squillion synths with filter input and they all sound pretty generic when running say a loop through them, I hardly used the filter input on my 303 and regretted having it converted, mainly because I liked to sit with the 606 running into the 303 both running from batteries on the couch w/headphones. Of course a separate input would be kinda cool, especially if you also had a VCO output so that you could run the VCO thru an effect then back into the VCF input. Also running the headphone out into the VCF input is pretty cool.
The mix in jack also imparts a certain quality on sounds which is nice in its own right, I guess its just the mojo from the 303!

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

on the original topic:

my former favorite 303 emulator (actually the Bassline contraption in Audiomulch) allowed all-slide lines to repeat infinitely, which is a great sonic tool. Huge filtery shifting melodic drones! Love it!

Anyway, I know that in some envelope generators the sustain voltage will leak away gradually like this if the decay stage is set too high and the envelope left open indefinitely... is there a likely place to go poking around to mod-in the ability for infinite legato?

I could probably hunt until I found the correct voltage... what I am thinking is either a switch to null the decay stage, or a knob to make it adjustable. Unless this is a totally different type of envelope (not ADSR) in which case...

-- What I'm asking for is help from someone who is a lot more familiar with this circuit. Ada? Ada's German friend?

Thanks...

-Amos

Post by Guest »

if you want to have the notes stay on indefinitely
tie a line from the juncture of d36 and r134 to 12v
insert a switch to 12v for it to be controllable

r123 controlls the decay of the vca if you want to have a
variable decay

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

thanks a lot, Helpful Anonymous Person!

You rock.

Post by Guest »

ill suck anyones dick for a 303...

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

filter input into the x0xbo0x rox!!!!

Mp3s soon of it filtering my minimoog, and sequencing it too! 8)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”