BANNED

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
antto

Re: BANNED

Post by antto »

maxi-fun wrote:Happy new year,
Short follow up: i was able to update the OS via midiox, it worked flawlessly.
Thank you Antto for this project and work ! I love it !
Do you plan news for 2015 ?

All the best
i was working on the next version (v1.02) of BANNED, which includes some bugfixes, and most importantly a few new features:
- support for the x0xb00t2 bootloader, now BANNED can be used to update the firmware on the cpumod via USB instead of avrdude
- added protection in the "Connect to x0xb0x" handshaking scenario, it checks if the x0xb0x happens to be running the bootloader (atmega162) and if so - it aborts any further communication, since the complex packets of the app<->firmware protocol can easily translate into bad commands to the bootloader and cause bad things
- added new messages to the serial protocol, the firmware can declare a number of "parameters" which can be listed in the app and changed. this is convenient for realtime parameters (tempo, shuffle level, etc..) as well as configuration/settings

all these features are implemented, some of them need a bit of testing..

maxi-fun

Post by maxi-fun »

It looks promising ! By the way even Antto don't mention it, all this work is done for free so if some people are happy as I'm , don't hesitate to make a small but useful donation on his page via PayPal -:)
All the best,

matmnd

Post by matmnd »

Hello people,

I've got an xoxbox and I'm trying to backup my patterns on my macbook pro running OS X Yosemite (10.10.3). I've already downloaded and installed the Virtual Com Port (VCP) driver found here, http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm the X11 package, and ConBox.

When I try to run conbox it open a window and then shut down, giving me an error that look like this:

Does anyone know what is going wrong here?
Thanks for your support!

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Hi matmnd
I made the OSX port of BANNED, wasn't aware of the old version giving problems.

A newer version of BANNED is pretty much ready. its just not released yet because there's some funky stuff to be included that opens up new features for n0nx0x2.
Feel free to mail me at rv0soft at gmail, I can give you the newer version which probably works.

matmnd

Post by matmnd »

Thanks Darffader, I've sent you an email. By the way, I figured out my xoxox isn't recognized right by neither OS X Yosemite nor Windows 8.

In both OS I've downloaded and installed the Virtual Com Port (VCP), and:
  • in Windows 8 the xoxbox is recognized as “Unknown USB device”
  • in Yosemite it isn't recognized at all
Any suggestion about how to proceed?

rv0

Post by rv0 »

If the version I mailed you also gives problems, there might be a problem with the soldering on your usb chip?

matmnd

Post by matmnd »

So, the version you mailed me runs on yosemite, thanks!

The problem now is that the only serial port it see is this one:

I don't really think it is the right one (bluetooth???), but I have connected the xoxbox to the macbook pro via usb and then switched on the machine in bootload mode.

Can someone give me some help about that?

By the way, I'm pretty sure i'm running Sokkos 2.0, because I have tested some functions listed in the "read me" file that comes with that firmware.

I would like to try out Marios Firmware, and I need to backup the patterns, is there a way to do that via SysEx (backup the patterns and upload the firmware)?

rv0

Post by rv0 »

@matmnd
IIRC the latest sokkos has some sysex dump stuff. you should check the thread about it.

It looks like the usb port on your x0x is not working, check the soldering on the chip (a picture is fine too)

Glad to hear the latest BANNED works for you!

matmnd

Post by matmnd »

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll look that.
Here are two pictures of my usb chip, how does it looks to you? unfortunately I do not know much about electronics...

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Hard to see, but it looks like the some pins on that USB chip aren't soldered to the board. May be an optical illusion due to the image quality. Can you look at that closely and check if all pins are actually soldered to the board?

Another question, when you plugged it into your windows pc, did it make a sound/indication that new hardware was connected?

matmnd

Post by matmnd »

Yes, when I connected the XOXBOX the Windows PC running Windows 8, after having installed the Virtual Com Port (VCP) driver, it recognizes the machine, but it is listed under "unknown USB device" instead of serial ports. I therefore think the usb/soldering are working, don't you?

matmnd

Post by matmnd »

Any help on this?

rv0

Post by rv0 »

either wrong driver or indeed problem with usb connection
hard to say.

matmnd

Post by matmnd »

So, just to confirm, here is the procedure I followed to install the driver:
[*]download it
[*]connect the xoxbox in "bootload mode" -> recognized as "unknown usb device"
[*]go to the device manager and found the plugged device
[*]right click and update the driver with the files downloaded above

As a result I get "the device has already the latest driver installed" or something like that.

Is this the right procedure?

juke179r

Post by juke179r »

On my 2014 MBP with OS 10.10.5, BANNED v.1 & v.0.99 opens then closes quickly with an error with & without the x0xb0x connected.
Anyone else having this problem?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”