BANNED

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
antto

Re: BANNED

Post by antto »

well if the firmware is not working, you cannot test this

try to flash a firmware and get the firmware to run
then do this test with the pattern export to see if you get CRC errors

meanwhile, open the properties of the "USB Serial" driver and make screenshots of the "Port Settings" page and the other page which opens up when you click "Advanced.."

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

ähem, antto can you clarify: I stored my patterns a couple of times using conbox, and that looked very much like working (though never tried putting them back, as a relied on your app), but I have not been in computer-control mode! Just did it from some other mode. So then, when looking for bytes, I removed some code from FUNC_COMPUTER_CONTROL (or how its called), something like while(1) { readswitches() }; not much more. I could not see a reason for this mode, as conbox did anything I wanted without. So what`s the story?

- Thanx one more time and in advance for your answers:)

Mario

Cocker

Post by Cocker »

hmmm..

i cannot get the firmware to run for any tests. at the moment the only thing that works is the flash firmware function. when this completes though the x0x is useless. like it is stuck permanently in bootload mode. my usb settings are correct as far as i can tell. the only thing i changed was the baud rate to match what is given in BANNED. here is a screen cap

antto

Post by antto »

mario1089 wrote:ähem, antto can you clarify: I stored my patterns a couple of times using conbox, and that looked very much like working (though never tried putting them back, as a relied on your app), but I have not been in computer-control mode! Just did it from some other mode. So then, when looking for bytes, I removed some code from FUNC_COMPUTER_CONTROL (or how its called), something like while(1) { readswitches() }; not much more. I could not see a reason for this mode, as conbox did anything I wanted without. So what`s the story?

- Thanx one more time and in advance for your answers:)

Mario
the important part is the message processing code which happens on interrupt
the actual menu do_computer_control() is practically empty, it only checks if you change to any other mode and exits

the purpose of do_computer_control() was probably, to have most of those features that haven't been implemented (remember those messages i mentioned)
but, as you can see, it's empty

there is basically messages for reading and writing patterns, changing the tempo, and these work from any Mode because they are processed on interrupt
i do not recommend importing and exporting patterns during live performance, as they can interrupt the x0x timing :wink:

antto

Post by antto »

realeoin: your settings are correct, even that they shouldn't matter
so, i really don't know what to say :?

Cocker

Post by Cocker »

not to worry. thanks for help. i give up on it.
a lad i know says he can program me a new chip.
should do the job.

antto

Post by antto »

i hope that fixes it

noha

Post by noha »

realeoin, were you able to resolve this issue?

my x0xb0x is displaying basically the exact symptoms you mention, down to the letter.
i was able to flash the firmware once after about 3 tries, but the x0xb0x was still stuck in the bootloader setting (random LEDs on, unresponsive to button presses) when i turned it off and switched it to other modes.
subsequent attempts to burn the firmware are not able to get the DeviceID string.
i'm assuming that since I was able to upload the firmware at least once successfully that I have a bootloader on my chip (this x0xb0x is one of the original ladyada kits, #139 or something), but since it seems pretty unresponsive to these various actions is the solution to just get another microcontroller chip? or can this one be saved somehow with the right software interface?

i'm using BANNED on OS X 10.8.2

thanks any and all for your help.

antto

Post by antto »

if there was a bootloader at first, and then after an attempt to flash a firmware something went wrong and neither a firmware is present nor the bootloader seems to be responding (aka you get those same errors) .. then..

..i can think of one explanation.. in theory, it *might* be data being corrupted during firmware upload, since there is absolutely no error checking (that's because of the bootloader, i cannot change that from the app itself)
could be some byte going wrong and somehow resulting in corruption of the bootloader sector

that theory applies only if my suspection about all x0x CPUs being with unprotected bootloader sections is true, because otherwise it won't happen

also, as a last hope (it probably ain't gonna work but it won't hurt to try) .. since i am not good with electronics, but just guessing, could be the x0x not really getting into bootload mode for some reason.. if there is still power to the CPU or something
so, maybe try switching the x0x OFF (leaving it with the FUNC switch pointing at BOOTLOAD) for a long time - 1 minute, 10 minutes, i don't know.. (so that such theoretical charge goes away and hopefully the CPU really goes OFF)
then switch it ON and try to upload firmware, see if you'll get response from the bootloader
(i am really shooting in the dark with this)

antto

Post by antto »

otherwise, the cure would be either re-programming the bootloader back onto the CPU (if you can find someone who has such a programmer device..) or buy a new CPU with pre-programmed bootloader

danhillwwr

Post by danhillwwr »

Hi, I download BANNED V 1.00 (MACOSX) it does not work on 10.6.8 ! After two days of hard work, I download BANNED 0.99 mac osx and miraculously I had a sign, it work well with snow leopard :D Thank you for this work. PS: sorry for my English rotten :wink:

antto

Post by antto »

danhillwwr wrote:Hi, I download BANNED V 1.00 (MACOSX) it does not work on 10.6.8 ! After two days of hard work, I download BANNED 0.99 mac osx and miraculously I had a sign, it work well with snow leopard :D Thank you for this work. PS: sorry for my English rotten :wink:
hi, you shouldn't use v0.99, especially if you will be working on experimental firmwares (v0.99 has a bug which can potentially overwrite the bootloader if you try to upload a big enough .hex file)

for what reason did v1.00 not work?
did the app not start at all, or you just couldn't connect it to the x0x?

danhillwwr

Post by danhillwwr »

It was to install the update MarOS 1.4.1 !! Impossible, it does not recognize the usb with V1 (I noted /dev/tty.usb That does not work. I watch your youtube video .

danhillwwr

Post by danhillwwr »

I found , the V1 works 8) "/ dev/tty.usbserial-0000203A " It is a pleasure to the pattern from the software :twisted: ! Thank you for your support :wink:

antto

Post by antto »

i compiled BANNED on linux (thanks to AbortRetryFail for the linux serial port code)
the only downside is that i couldn't figure a good way to set arbitrary baud rate, so it only works with the standard rates which are defined somewhere in termios.h (it'll work with both stock cpu and cpu mod) and there's no serial port detection like there is on the win32 and osx versions, so you have to manually type the path

i discovered another bug, which doesn't show up on the win32 version.. when the app starts, it shows the fancy ascii logo but it should only show it for about 2 seconds then proceed to the main menu
in the linux version - it doesn't timeout, and the logo freezes there till you hit a key - that's the bug, it's clock() from time.h behaving differently on linux/osx
so i switched to using clock_gettime() and it works properly now
i'll probably change the win32 version to use queryperformancecounter() instead of clock() to avoid future trouble

so it smells like i'll have to do this as "v1.01" and so i'd like some feedback
feature requests.. if any

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”