BANNED

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alejappo

Re: BANNED

Post by alejappo »

I have an idea: if I remove the chip firmware that does not work well from my xoxbox ... I buy one on the internet and the replace it??
then does it work??
you can do this thing?
where I can find it?

antto

Post by antto »

yes, basically if your cpu has gone corrupted (that's my diagnose) ... you can buy another one
you then unplug the old cpu from the socket, and plug the new one

willzyx sells them: http://www.willzyx.com/products/atmega1 ... controller
x0xsh0p too: http://www.x0xsh0p.de/sh0p_e/template/index.html (type Mikroprozessor in the search bar to find it)

alejappo

Post by alejappo »

before using BANNED my xox worked great ...
Now why did this happen??
I can not explain it! conbox recognizes the port ... but then it stops! xox did not played in any func

antto

Post by antto »

the USB works independantly, because it's on a dedicated chip (the small FTDI chip which is surface-mount on the IO Board)
so it will always be "recognized" by your computer, even if the x0x cpu is broken or not functioning

as for why this happened - i can't explain exactly
but flashing firmware is a delicate process
the cpu has 16 kilobytes of flash
both the firmware and the bootloader share this space, and if the bootloader is not write-protected - it can get overwritten or corrupted

in my experience so far, it seems the x0x cpus are never write-protected, sadly

alejappo

Post by alejappo »

Antto in your opinion, if I buy a new chip firmware and I mount it on the cpu, then return everything to work as before?
what do you suggest I do?
thanks for your time!

antto

Post by antto »

to clear any confustion ... "firmware" is the software (program/code)
"chip" is the actual component (the micro controller, or CPU as i called it for simplicity)
so "chip firmware" makes no sense

if you wanted to ask whether buying a chip from one of the two sites i linked to earlier would help - yes, hopefully
a new chip will have a working bootloader (and firmware)

however, i cannot guarantee anything
it is possible to corrupt the bootloader again, it's always possible (since usually it's not write-protected)
it rarely happens, but it does :?

if you know someone who has an AVR programmer, and knows how to use it - you could ask him for a favour to try and fix your chip (by attaching it to the programmer, erasing it, and programming the bootloader on it)
otherwise buy a new one which comes with the bootloader already on

alejappo

Post by alejappo »

I buy the chip... is the last chance :(

alejappo

Post by alejappo »

i've found this on ebay???
it's ok????
Attachments
it's ok this ????
it's ok this ????
image.jpg (105.02 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

antto

Post by antto »

yes, that's the right cpu, but, you should be aware that these are general purpose micro controllers and you can buy them from many places, however, they usually come "empty" .. in other words - there is no bootloader by default

the x0xb0x uses a custom bootloader which is specific to it so you have to buy that chip from someone who has specifically programmed it with the x0xb0x bootloader

so you should make sure that this chip comes pre-programmed with the x0xb0x bootloader .. so ask the seller

because otherwise you will buy an empty chip, and you will end up having 2 non-working chips, which is not what you want

alejappo

Post by alejappo »

In this case, buy the ones that you told me before. so I'm sure!
right??

antto

Post by antto »

yeah

or search on your own, there could be more places to buy from
it should be from someone who is selling x0xb0x kits and parts, and you should still ask him explicitly whether the chips come pre-programmed with the x0xb0x bootloader

alejappo

Post by alejappo »

ok...
i decide!!!!
i've buy this:
Attachments
atmega162
atmega162
image.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 2171 times

matsu yue

Post by matsu yue »

Hey!
Thanx for some great work! Although I have some difficulties. The port setting first said something like /dev/tty.bluetooth or something and after some fiddling it says <Err:FPF>.

Readme says: "Set the "Port" to the port name for your x0xb0x. This would be something that begins with "/dev/tty.usb" or similar." But how do I know what the port name of my x0xb0x is?

alejappo

Post by alejappo »

com 3 ... probably

antto

Post by antto »

matsu yue wrote:Hey!
Thanx for some great work! Although I have some difficulties. The port setting first said something like /dev/tty.bluetooth or something and after some fiddling it says <Err:FPF>.

Readme says: "Set the "Port" to the port name for your x0xb0x. This would be something that begins with "/dev/tty.usb" or similar." But how do I know what the port name of my x0xb0x is?
i guess you're on osx

if you see Err:FPF
simply do the following:
1) make sure the x0xb0x is plugged in the USB, and is running
2) if BANNED is running - close it
3) run BANNED

when you run BANNED - it scans the currently available serial ports (or usb devices on osx)
so if your x0x is connected - it'll get listed, otherwise - it won't

4) go to the settings, and press left/right to see what you got in the port list

if that doesn't work, you should simply check how the x0xb0x appears in your OS

on windows, you'll find it in the device manager "USB-Serial" or something like that, then inside the options there you'll see a drop-down box where you can see/set the port name (it's usually COM+number.. COM3 in my case)

on OSX i have no idea, there must be a way to see what usb/serial devices are currently available via some terminal command

once you get the name of the port - go to the settings in BANNED and hit enter on the port name, you will be able to type a name there
or edit the .cfg file, save it, and restart BANNED

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”