BANNED

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Spot

Re: BANNED

Post by Spot »

gompie wrote:IT NOW WORKS!! So glad the USB chip was the issue. In the kit I received to build the x0xb0x the IO-board came with the USB chip already on there. In the end it did not save me much time, because it was BROKEN! :shock:
So, put a new USB chip on there today and OMG: BANNED works as promised and I've been able to put sokkOS 2.0 on there in one run! :D Thanks for the program and all the help you guys! 8)
I have similar kind of problem, my x0xb0x connects but only tempo can be changed. No other operations, I see the tempo but everything else fails.

It might be the same USB chip that needs to be changed?

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Spot wrote:I have similar kind of problem, my x0xb0x connects but only tempo can be changed. No other operations, I see the tempo but everything else fails.

If you can change the tempo from conbox your usb chip works.

gompie

Post by gompie »

Spot wrote:
I have similar kind of problem, my x0xb0x connects but only tempo can be changed. No other operations, I see the tempo but everything else fails.

Antto helped me out greatly by providing a debug version of BANNED that registers the USB trafic into a txt file.
Ask him if he's willing to analyse your USB data to be able to come to a conclusion. Based on if there is a valid data stream out of your x0xb0x will help to isolate the place of the issue a bit, and whether it's hardware or software (settings?) related.
It will also help if you provide some more specific information about your OS, driver you installed, settings in BANNED, com port you see appear when you connect the x0xb0x, further approach, and where it is exactly where you strand.

thc

Post by thc »

I'm unable to upload new firmware with BANNED.

If I set my x0xb0x to Bootload and try to flash it, it will just say knock knock and give an error message.

But if I set it the x0xb0x to Computer Controlled I can dump eeprom data, change tempo and so on. So the USB chip doesn't seem to be faulty.

I've tried on both Windows and OS X. I've tried 3 different AVR-chips and another x0xb0x. All with the same problem. I can get it to work in computer controlled, but I can't upload the new firmware in bootload mode.

What to do?

antto

Post by antto »

when you follow the procedure for booting the x0x in "bootload" mode.. what happens exactly?
1) do some/all/none of the LEDs light up?
2) when you turn the FUNC to something else like PATTERN PLAY, does the x0x appear to function as if it was normally booted?

if #2 is "yes" then either you did something wrong and the x0x is not in bootload mode, or the x0x doesn't have a bootloader

oh, and if you've used c0ntr0l before that, on the same x0x, did you manage to upload firmware with it?

thc

Post by thc »

Thanks for the quick reply!

1) In bootload mode - Depends on what mode I've been in before. It's randomly all/some/none.
2) You mean if I start it in bootload mode and then turn the dial? If so, then no.

But pattern play behaves like it should if booted into pattern play. And I can use BANNED to connect to the x0xb0x and save new patterns to it in real time (Very cool I have to say!).

I've tried 3 different AVR chips in it. Even one from the original run from 2007, which have a bootloader on it. Still the same result.

I've been messing around some, and come to a point where I can get the x0xb0x to go into bootload mode, BANNED will say OK - Let's upload! And it uploads something. Afterwards it states that:

Uploading firmware... 100% ..Done
Time Wasted: 2.41s
Press any key to continue...

But if I reboot the x0xb0x to pattern play, it still says 1.05 when I check in BANNED, even though I uploaded SokkOS 1.9.1.

So it's like it's write proteced or something? But I can't see how that should be?

(Oh, and I think it takes more than 2.41s (closer to 10s) but that might just be a bug on the OS X side. Cause on the PC it said around 10-11s.)

antto

Post by antto »

ok, wait a sec
BANNED implements a new serial protocol on top of the old one
so the OS version request is part of it

this means that for all the existing firmwares (adafruit 1.05, sokkos, n0nx0x beta, etc..) BANNED has to "guess" what the OS is, because the MSG_OSVER is not known by those
now, i started implementing a new firmware (diagnostic) which uses the new messages (including MSG_OSVER) but that's the only one for now
thus, BANNED currently distinguishes between 3 types of firmwares:
1) adafruit v1.05 compatible (this includes sokkos) (if pattern size is 16 bytes)
2) n0nx0x (if pattern size is 21 bytes)
3) unknown (if pattern size is something else)
oh, and..
4) if MSG_OSVER is implemented, it requests an OS string from the x0x

ehm actually it's already hinted that the OS is autodetected/guessed by the "(auto)" in front of "adafruit v1.05 compliant"

so you probably already have your sokkos running on your x0x
check for stuff like shuffle which aren't present on the stock firmware

<or> flash n0nx0x, there will be quite a visible difference if it does work (since it's totally different from the stock firmware)
just make sure you've backed up your patterns first ;]

thc

Post by thc »

You were right!

Here I've been staring blindly on the screen waiting for confirmation. And I've even tried to set it to pattern sync out, and turning the FUNC knob to pattern edit to edit in real time, cause I know that should work in SokkOS. But for some reason it just hasn't.

Now I hooked it up to my setup and tried it with an external sync source. And it worked! SokkOS is installed.

Thanks!

antto

Post by antto »

now make some acid ;]
:wink: :mrgreen:

thc

Post by thc »

I was actually just kicking it out on the floor! :D

Thanks for all the hard work with the program!

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Ok, in some other thread you asked for some ideas for conbox..

1) Would like to have the current internal tempo (maybe also current swing depth in %) to be always visible in the windows (Mac?) task bar, like fan-speed controls use to display the current CPU temperature there.

2) Not sure if you`d tried the randomizer/macro edits in my OS-mod, if not: GIVE IT A TRY, you won`t regret. Then think about adding all of that algorithms into conbox @ the pattern editor, to make it available for anyone using nonxox or sokkOs. My code is straight forward, and (partly) well commented, will be an easy thing to do I guess.

I will take a look into pattern editor and pattern dumping once my xox is back running, and see if there`s anything additional to say.

antto

Post by antto »

the current tempo is visible from the "Computer Control" menu since you can change it from there
i think you mean an animated system-tray icon showing information - this is probably very hard
i use a game-lib (allegro5) which doesn't have such functionality

the current swing depth - there's no way for my app to know about the temporary variables in the firmware
the only way for such thing to work is via a custom Message (in the serial protocol) in the same fashion as the Tempo message
but there is no such, the stock firmware never had shuffle/swing

after the v0.99 release i already modified the Pattern Editor
now there are (configurable) hotkeys for "writing" notes and time (with auto-advance) as well as auto-load/save (to automatically perform CTRL+L / CTRL+S whenever needed)
randomizers and pattern manipulation - i've specialized in these
i have some very complex manipulation schemes in the softsynth
wanted to put only some of the most basic ones in BANNED - like shifting < > and reordering

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

So, tell me, how much effort would it be to add a couple of variables that are only accessable/changable via conbox (if conbox finds the OS to support them)? Could be an array of, say 8 bytes, that get displayed in conbox, and get sent to xox when changed, defaulting all at zero, both in conbox and in xoxbox, so no need to read them out of the xox. Hard to do? Do you open conbox sources?

Reason:
I`m currently thinking about adding some more interesting stuff, one thing is to live-randomize accents (and slides?) by an adjustable amount (kinda "jamming") and the other one is an option to process slides optionally by sending a fast sequence (1/64; 1/128) of notes. But it`s bad having more and more strange keycommands with the actual state not visible, so putting it into conbox would be my wish..

Not sure, though, if I find enough things to optimize / outcomment to make anything possible, as currently OUT-OF-BYTES. like all of us:(

antto

Post by antto »

you'll have to put a piece of code to support the MSG_OSVER serial message and reply with a unique OS ID and OS-string for your OS
then, when BANNED connects - it will ask your FW for MSG_OSVER and it will display the OS-string instead of the "(auto) Adafruit v1.05"
it will also store this OS ID in any .CXM files which you export from the firmware

now, for any specific behaviour and/or features - BANNED would have to be modified
for the variables you want to share with BANNED (in a similar fashion as how the Tempo variable is shared) both your firmware and BANNED will need to be modified

it's no problem to add more custom messages and more "known" OSes to BANNED, that was my whole idea about all this..
the problem is on the firmware side, because you are already struggling to fit more "features" on the small chip, and these custom messages will require some more free space

i started coding a new "Diagnostic" firmware (based on the stock firmware v1.05) with the purpose to be the first one to implement MSG_OSVER and a few custom messages for specialized comunication with BANNED
i didn't finish the firmware and haven't released it yet, this was my old wish from the time there were much more people here, but i was unable to make such an app at that time

BANNED's source code isn't very elegant, i will be a bit ashamed if anyone sees it :oops:
i'll see after i release v1.00
i wanna have one really "stable" basic version of it, before any big modifications to the source code

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Haha, not elegant.. Be sure I`m also not known for elegance in code. An` I don`t give much about it. I want things to work, not more.
Anyway, let`s see where this ends. Currently looking for more places to "optimize". I think keyboard mode maybe could have some less features, I only use it for tuning; but could be builders need it more often!? Then tap-tempo option may be useless anyway, as it will be never exactly right anyway!? Or not?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”