Xox Midi Sync drifting - SOLVED.

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dazbo

Xox Midi Sync drifting - SOLVED.

Post by Dazbo »

Hi again,
ive 2 issues with my X0x ,this is the 2nd-
Using my x0x as slave synced up to a hardware sequencer (Roland mc50)
After a minute or 2 the x0x timing starts to drift out of sync - ive tried the original x0x OS 1.5,sokkos 2.0 and tonight Marios1.4.1
and its still happening,
The sync is rock solid using the x0x as master -
Again,any heads up will be appreciatted
Thanks
Daz
Last edited by Dazbo on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazbo

Re: Xox Midi Sync drifting -

Post by Dazbo »

tested again tonightand it seems fine !! was i tripping ? :lol:

Dazbo

Post by Dazbo »

Hi again,
Well I was tripping,it definitely drifts after about 16+ bars,
Strangely the timing only go's out if when its looping I either start tweaking the x0x in any way like the filter or decay,or stranger even more if I start playing anything else!
the x0x is slaving from a hardware sequencer -
Maybe whatever is responsible for midi clock in the x0x is unstable ? Could this be the case?
I've even tried triggering patterns for 1 bar at a time with a programmed beat behind it and it still drifts out of time,can anyone give a hint of what they think it might be? Even a guess would help as I've been on this problem a few days now and if I can't sort it then the box is all but useless to me. :(

Dazbo

Post by Dazbo »

Hi all,
Even though i did not get a response on this i thought i would give an update as one day someone else may have this same issue,
After several nights of testing and working out,i solved this.
Using a Hardware sequencer The Roland Mc-50 as master and slaving the x0xb0x the x0xb0x was drifting out of time,sometimes after a few bars,sometimes after maybe a minute,and on the odd occasion stayed in time,on the whole though it drifted.
The Mc-50 has 2 x midi out ports,i was using the midi out 2 port to send out midi clock to sync the x0x,
I tried everything,from switching of sys ex messages,CC,and at one point even notes from leaving the midi out,the x0x still drifted,
Even with nothing else connected,no other synths,the x0x still drifted.
Tonight i tried using my Akai mpc-500 as master,setting up a basic 4 on floor 909 kick and the x0x locked on,rock solid - no drift at all,perfect,...so that then isolated the Mc-50 as the problem,..
I switched the x0x to midi out port 1 on the mc-50 and sent midi clock from there,..
and the x0x locks on rock solid.,perfect.
So basically ,i know the Roland mc-50 sequencer has a bug in sending out Midi clock from port 2 .
Its not duff,its just buggy.
Thought it might be useful to someone one day ;)

antto

Re: Xox Midi Sync drifting - SOLVED.

Post by antto »

i also have an issue when sending midisync from the PC
once started, the machines start to follow the DAW, but it can take from 1 minute up to 10 minutes till the first time it happens - it either misses a clock tick (and the machines become late) or even some times they stop - that means they "see" a MIDI_STOP message while the DAW certainly isn't sending anything other than MIDI_CLOCK

machines being: 2 x0xes and korg ES-1

i suspect the midi singal is either weak, or noisy, or something.. and some bits change, thus the MIDI_CLOCK message gets interpreted as something else
that would explain why they sometimes stop, a MIDI_CLOCK could easily "morph" into a MIDI_STOP since the difference is just flipping one bit

Dazbo

Post by Dazbo »

Interesting,
Isnt there a resistor you/we can change at the midi in port on the x0x if theres problems with midi sync>
Like this quote seems only if the midi in doesnt work at all though ?
Note: in batch #6 we've started to notice that the optoisolators are possibly made to a different specification. If MIDI out and MIDI thru are working but MIDI in is not, try upping R16 to 120 or 150 ohms!

Dazbo

Post by Dazbo »

Well i guess i spoke too soon,
i feel like banging my head against a wall,
tested my system this morning using midi port out 1 and the x0x drifts again !!!
Sadly it means my MC-50 has to go,and i`ll have to use the MPC500 to sequence as with that its tight.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”