Cannot write patterns with Stock OS 1.05

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blinds

Cannot write patterns with Stock OS 1.05

Post by blinds »

hey guys, i just registered here to ask for your help.
i noticed that i can't write patterns to my xoxbox's memory anymore when in edit mode. seems to have something to do with the 1.05 stock os i downloaded from here and flashed on my xoxbox a few days ago. (i assume that's the most recent one, right?)
when editing/creating a pattern in pattern edit mode, the done led starts blinking , then i press it once and it goes out again. now when i press stop, choose another pattern and then choose my edited pattern again, the changes i made are gone. i just can't seem to save my patterns in my box anymore.
i'm pretty sure it's not some eeprom related issue as i used 3 different firmwares before without this issue.
up until a few days ago i used sokkos 2.0, before sokkos 2.0 i used the latest MarOS and before that i don't really know since it was already on my box when i bought it preassembled from xoxshop.de about two years ago. i assume it was some other version of the stock os or sokkos 1.9 or something. no problems with saving my patterns ever.
pressing the done button twice like in sokkos doesn't help either. anybody got a clue? seems i have to go back to sokkos2.0 but would rather stay with the stock one since i get many wonky, out of tune notes in midi play mode with sokkos2.0, even more than before with the other firmwares i used earlier which kinda makes the xoxbox unusable for me as i can't use pattern play mode either because of the unbearable sync drift.

antto

Re: Cannot write patterns with Stock OS 1.05

Post by antto »

in sokkos2 (and i think in previous versions) you have to press DONE twice.. the step you're on when you press it is used to set the length of the pattern, so if you press DONE while on the 1st step - the pattern will become 1 step long
the stock firmware also does this, but you press DONE just once there (iirc)

if the pattern memory (the external eeprom) doesn't work for some reason, bytes will be read back as 0xFF most likely, which equals empty patterns (patterns with no notes, zero steps long)
if the x0xb0x has worked properly before:
- if the eeprom is socketed - check whether it's making good contact with the socket
if you're not sure:
- check if the eeprom is the right chip type (or compatible) ... it should be at least 4kB with SPI interface capable to operate at 2MHz

blinds

Re: Cannot write patterns with Stock OS 1.05

Post by blinds »

yeah, with sokkos i used to press done twice and it worked but on the stock os 1.05 it doesn't. pressing done once sets the pattern lenght as you described, but pressing again does nothing. as soon as i switch to another pattern and then back to the one i just edited, it sounds just like before i edited it.
after trying again a few times to no avail, i put sokkos2.0 back on today and everything works fine, so i assume it's something wrong with the stock 1.05.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”