feature request - make the midi channel knob match the LEDs

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
subatomic

feature request - make the midi channel knob match the LEDs

Post by subatomic »

Problem:
I think right now the midi channel select knob just acts as an offsetter to the midi channel - so that the number doesn't always match between the [1-16] knob and the lighted LED in the [1-16] lights.

Here I propose a way to make the [1-16] knob value match the [1-16] LED value for midichannel selection..

Solution:
Implement code such that the midi channel LED indicator is changed only when the knob changes. When the knob changes value, then the absolute value of the knob is read and the corresponding LED light lights accordingly... Ensuring that the channel is changed only when the knob is changed is a subtle, yet critical point to take note of here. The reason for this small yet important detail is to avoid problems switching from patternmode to midiplay mode, where if the knob were absolute in both modes, the system might copy the pattern value into the midi channel value.

Illustrative example what happens if this detail isn't implemented (i.e. if knob data is taken as absolute all the time, instead of only when changed):
- In pattern mode, the [1-16] knob is for changing the bank of the pattern.
- In midiplay mode, the [1-16] knob is for changing midi channels.
- Switching modes from pattern mode to midiplay the knob changes functions.
- Obviously we don't want to take that garbage value from the pattern mode and use it to set a new midi channel.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”