📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

What soldering tip do you use?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What soldering tip do you use?

by FarmerHodge on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32 am

I just successfully soldered my first working kit (MintyBoost!) and I got the $50 Weller station from the recommendation page on this site. It is a huge improvement from my last cheap-o iron, but I feel like the tip is very large for the work I needed to do on the MintyBoost board. I'm actually amazed (but quite happy) it works given the horrible soldering job I did. I am using the default tip that came with my Weller Is there a better tip to use for electronics work such as the MintyBoost? I feel like my tip is 4x larger than it needs to be. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
FarmerHodge

Re: What soldering tip do you use?

by zener on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:46 am

I usually use a 1/16" flatted or "screwdriver" tip. I am guessing yours is 1/8"?

zener

by FarmerHodge on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:57 am

Yeah, I just measured it and it is 1/8th. I am thinking the Weller ST5, ST6 or ST7 might be the answer, but from the Weller literature I can't tell the difference. They are flat tip, screwdriver tip and conical tip in that order, but the pictures make them all look the same. Strange. Screwdriver tip is the right answer? I will go looking for one soon. I have an LCD I need to attach a header too but I know my current tip is not up for the task.
FarmerHodge

by zener on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:17 pm

I was never clear on the flat vs screwdriver. They don't cost too much so you could get one of each. Or just try the screwdriver. I think that is what I used.

zener

by westcoaststeve on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 pm

The ST7 is the way to go for the small work.
Tip Tinner & Cleaner does a nice job seasoning new tips also. Made a world of difference for me.

westcoaststeve

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.