PiGrrl 2 - One shoulder button does not work
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PiGrrl 2 - One shoulder button does not work

by jagostoni on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am

Just checking for additional suggestions before I formally contact support: My daughter and I built the PiGrrl 2 from the kit and everything works just totally great except ONE shoulder button.

First thing I did was check the button, solder joints and wires. All were solid, no cold joints.

Second thing I did was pull out the multimeter and did continuity tests on everything. The button works as expected, the wires are solid to the gamepad PCB, the header connector is solid from the pin to the solder joint on the PCB,

HOWEVER, when I run a test from the four pads on the PCB to their appropriate pins, one does not work. The pad that is supposed to go to PIN 33 does not produce a tone on the multimeter (no continuity). I tested against the PIN in the connector as well as the solder joint on the board. Could this be a faulty PCB where the trace is broken from the pad to the connector?

Anything else I can check?

jagostoni

Re: PiGrrl 2 - One shoulder button does not work

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:08 am

Did you check continuity from one end of the ribbon cable to the other? The most likely cause would seem ti be a bad connection on the ribbon cable. maybe you need to use hammer to tap on the connector you removed and reinstalled?

adafruit_support_rick

by jagostoni on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 am

I haven't done that yet because I am not even getting continuity to the connector on the PCB, before it event gets to the ribbon cable. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

jagostoni

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 am

A broken trace seems unlikely, but still...

Any chance you could post some closeups of the board?

adafruit_support_rick

by jagostoni on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:42 am

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Any chance you could post some closeups of the board?

For sure, when I get a chance. I will say that keep in mind that my 10yo daughter was in charge of some of the soldering (not to say I did much better) ;) I did check for any shorts with the multmeter, though.

I'll try and get closeups of the pins in question.

adafruit_support_rick wrote:A broken trace seems unlikely, but still...

I do agree ... it is just strange that a continuity test from the solder pad for the bumper wires to the header fails when all other connections pass. Strange because if it is a faulty PCB then one could imagine more than one fault!

I am just wondering that other than a short or cold solder connection, what else could cause this. (e.g. what could I have damaged on the board)?

jagostoni

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I think it's most likely a cold solder joint. Probing those with a multimeter can make the connection, so they can fool you.

adafruit_support_rick

by jagostoni on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:01 am

So my kid doesn't want me to take it apart since we don't really use the shoulder buttons anyway. She seems happy without them! I did see that th PCB is sold individually anyway so I'll most like toss one in next time I order stuff from Adafruit to have the chance to remake that part someday.

Thanks for your help, though!

jagostoni

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.