Newbie help with project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Newbie help with project

by grayghia on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello all, I am attempting to create a jack in the box head for Halloween with LED eyes and mouth that I can change his facial expression with. Similar to photos below but with leds in place of mouth and eyes. Not sure what I would need to accomplish this feat as far as components and what type of programming would I need to make jacks eyes change and mouth expressions change with a button push. Please help, I am new to this whole world of electronics but I love to learn.
Attachments
reg jack.PNG
reg jack.PNG (447.29 KiB) Viewed 206 times
oh jack.PNG
oh jack.PNG (410.51 KiB) Viewed 206 times

grayghia

Re: Newbie help with project

by Disciple on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:17 pm

You might find some ideas in this Adafruit tutorial.
Animating Multiple LED Backpacks

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by grayghia on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up, will look into that.

grayghia

by Disciple on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Jack in the box...heads up...good one. (c;

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by ___Alex___ on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm

To be honest, I would just punch some small holes in the mouth and insert the pins of a single led into the inside of the head. If you repeat this process tracing the mouth and you hook each led up to an arduino (or other microcontroller) then you should be golden.

Some materials that come to mind are:
- LEDS https://www.adafruit.com/product/1792 (these look cool, any small led should work though, just make sure to rtfm :D)
- 9v clip on (snip the plug off so you have two leads) https://www.adafruit.com/product/80
-breadboard
-super glue
-sewing needle or something small and sharp to poke holes for the LED leads
-solder
-soldering iron
-jumper wires
-arduino https://www.adafruit.com/product/50
-arduino wire https://www.adafruit.com/product/62
-button
- 9v battery

That is how I would do it at least. When I start a new project that is material intensive, I buy the things that i know are going to be hardest first. That way, if I give up, not too much money has been wasted. The first step is probably to buy the arduino and the arduino wire and maybe some leds or a servo or something to play with so you can get the hang of using the IDE (programming interface) https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage

___Alex___

by grayghia on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm

I really appreciate the help Alex, I was looking into the Arduino, seems the way I was going to go. As for the LEDs can you program them to change which light up upon a button push., as I want the expressions to change when I push a button. i want the expressions to change with a button so if i talk to anyone i can have the face react.

grayghia

by ___Alex___ on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 am

Yes you can! This kind of thing is exactly what they are meant for. There is even example code provided with the IDE that can be easily modified to do exactly what you are trying to do. The way it works is that it is able to sense weather or not current is entering it through a specific pin, current would enter it by completing a circuit by depressing a button. When it senses current entering its pins it can send power through another one of set of pins and take power away from another set of pins. When the button gets lifted then it reverts back to normal. ie, the first set off and the second set on. What you are trying to do is very simple and a great beginners project. I would get started soon though, even simple projects have a tendency to take longer than planned. lol.

OH, also be sure to choose small LEDs so you can daisy chain a couple off of each pin so you aren't stuck with only 13 lights (the number of digital pins on the arduino.)

___Alex___

by grayghia on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Your the man Alex, thanks will respond once I get my goodies...

grayghia

by grayghia on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Wondering would I need 3 Arduinos if I have multiple led boards that I need to function independently?

grayghia

by Michelle01 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:44 am

Looks good, I also want to have such a thing, making LED hat

Michelle01

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.