LED video wall on 8 horizontal panels

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xavierdinelli

LED video wall on 8 horizontal panels

Post by xavierdinelli »

We'd like to buy the LED Video Wall Controller https://www.adafruit.com/product/1453
but would want to make sure it will work with 8 horizontal panels before buying it. The video in manuals shows it works on 18 panels. Is there an options in the program to change configuration from 18 panel square configuration to a horizontal 8 panel configuration?
Many Thanks -Xavi

adafruit_support_mike

Re: LED video wall on 8 horizontal panels

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Each receiver card can control a strip of matrix up to 1024 pixels wide, and just to repeat the warning on the product page: the receiver cards CAN NOT drive 64x64 matrices. They can do 32x32 and 32x64, but don't have enough address pins for a 64-row matrix.

I don't know the LED Studio configuration for a 1x8 row of matrices, but will check with someone who's more familiar with the software.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can connect the panels any way you want - but if you post a drawing of what you're looking for it will help us know. basically the receiver is not 'smart' about how many panels are connected. it sends the data and if a panel is there to display it, great! if not, the data just goes nowhere. if that makes sense.

davidp15

Post by davidp15 »

Greetings,

If I want to chain together 10 64x32 led matrices, would I necessarily need to use the led wall Controller (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1453) ???? Or could I do this with an RGB Hat/Bonnet ???

Best

David

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

A Pi 3 and matrix hat could probably do it but performance wouldn't be *amazing*

davidp15

Post by davidp15 »

Thanks for the prompt reply!!!

So with the HAT it would be possible, not a 100% sure, but the quality would be poor. So would you suggest the LED wall controller???

Best

DP

davidp15

Post by davidp15 »

This is for an art show, so I do need good performance.
And one final question:
I saw the LED wall controller video and there it was said that yo need windows to configure the controller, but just once. After that could I connect a computer or a raspberry pi with a dvi to hdmi adapter???
I have a python application that I would like to run through the pi and display it on this led wall.

Thanks

DP

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

if its for an art show and you need a good looking display, we suggst contact a LED wall company and rent a wall!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”