NeoTrellis M4 Express issue

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pmartel

NeoTrellis M4 Express issue

Post by pmartel »

When I double click the reset button while plugged in to my Windows 10 system, the TRELM4BOOT drive appears as expected, but when I try to access the info file, or open the html file, File Explorer locks up. Task Manager will not end the task, but I can end it by pulling the USB cable.

I am able to open the files on a Windows 7 system, and am able to load the Arduino examples, though I got compile errors in the trellis_synth (still trying to fix tem)

adafruit_support_carter

Re: NeoTrellis M4 Express issue

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

For the Win 10 issue, see if it's this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... rive-18-11

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

I do not have any of the programs listed. Also, I have a Circuit Playground Express that works fine.

adafruit_support_carter

Weird. Does the Trellis work OK in normal mode (not bootloader)?

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

So far, I've only tried programming it in Arduino using my Windows 7 machine. That works. I'll try on the Windows 10 machine

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

I have loaded the code and run the neopixel test. The keypad test had compile errors. I'll see if I can fix it.
BTW, on the Arduino examples page https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... o-examples I assume you're supposed to load the examples as if they were a library like those zip libraries on the bottom of the previous page. It is not stated.

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

Here are the errors when I tried to compile keypad_test. It looks like there's an issue in the Adafruit_NeoTrellis_M4 library.

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4-master\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4.cpp: In function 'void tick_trellis()':

C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4-master\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4.cpp:23:42: error: no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_Keypad::justPressed(int, bool)'

if(trellisKeypad.justPressed(i+1, false))

^

C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4-master\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4.cpp:23:42: note: candidate is:

In file included from C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4-master\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4.h:5:0,

from C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4-master\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4.cpp:1:

C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_Keypad/Adafruit_Keypad.h:38:10: note: bool Adafruit_Keypad::justPressed(byte)

bool justPressed(byte key);

^

C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_Keypad/Adafruit_Keypad.h:38:10: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided

C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4-master\Adafruit_NeoTrellisM4.cpp:28:18: error: 'class Adafruit_Keypad' has no member named 'clear'

trellisKeypad.clear();

^

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit Trellis M4 (SAMD51).

adafruit_support_carter

Sorry. Looks like we need to do a release bump on the Keypad library. That's there:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ke ... ypad.h#L44
but not in the 1.0.0 release you get through Library Manager.

I will pass this on.

If you know how to manually install libraries, you could just grab the current repo code.

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

Thanks, I grabbed the updated library and disabled the existing keypad library, and it compiled and works.

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

I still have my initial problem that the disk that comes up when I double click the reset button seems to hang things when I try to read the .txt file under Win 10. the same USB dable and port work with a Circuit Playground Express. The NeoTrellis works ok under Win 7.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we've bumped the library release
check if you have antivirus software of some sort or kapesrky - this interferes with the disk and thinks its bad!

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

No Kapersky software. I do have Norton Security Suite.

I suppose I could temporarily disable it, however my Circuit Playground Express and a Gemma M0 both work fine with Norton running.

adafruit_support_carter

More info here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... rive-18-11

Are you running CircuitPython on the CPX and Gemma M0 also?

pmartel

Post by pmartel »

Yes I'm running CircuitPython on the CPX and Gemma M0 . I'm running Arduino on the NeoTrellis so far.

adafruit_support_carter

Does this summarize the issue you are seeing with the bootloader folder correctly?

On Windows 7:
* everything works

On Windows 10:
* CPX - works
* Gemma M0 - works
* Trellis M4 - hangs on file read

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”