Raspberry PI Zero W Not Detecting Mouse/Keyboard
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry PI Zero W Not Detecting Mouse/Keyboard

by mark957 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Hello, I just received my new Raspberry PI Zero W, I have a USB hub connected to the Raspberry PI and a keyboard and mouse connected to the output ports of the USB hub.
The Raspberry Pi will not detect the keyboard or mouse. I have tried connecting the kb & mouse individually taking the USB hub out and just connecting direct to the PI. Still no detection. I tested the PI by taking out the micro SD card and plugging the micro USB data line to one of my desktop computers and the computer recognized the device and listed the device in Device Manager (Windows 7).
I cannot figure this one out ??? I know my cables are sync data type cables. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel welcome to post a reply.

Thanks,
Mark Welborn

mark957

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W Not Detecting Mouse/Keyboard

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 am

Try configuring the RasPi for a Wifi connection and logging in via ssh, as shown here:

https://desertbot.io/blog/setup-pi-zero-w-headless-wifi

If you can get a command line that way, enter the command:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sudo sh -c "dmesg >/boot/dmesg.txt"
That will create a text file of diagnostic data that appears in the /boot device when you plug the SD card into a desktop computer. Post the contents of that file between CODE tags please.

adafruit_support_mike

by mark957 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 am

Hi Mike, thank you for your reply. But I think I found my problem. I tested the cable that I thought was an OTG, pin 4 & 5 do not make a circuit. I think my cable is bad.
I have ordered a couple of OTG cables and they should be in my hands in about a week from today. I will post a followup. I got a wireless keyboard from a friend, I will test the and followup.

Thanks Again !

Mark

mark957

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 am

Glad to hear you found the problem.

Post back if you continue to have the problem with a new cable. There may still be some debugging to do.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.