Troubleshooting LED Panel
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Troubleshooting LED Panel

by gnickels on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Hello!

I purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, Matrix Bonnet and 32x32 6mm pitch RGB LED Matrix Panel through Order #2058892-5307492572 on May 19th. I have been waiting for a couple other parts since I received the item which is why I'm making this post almost 3 weeks later.
With these parts I am building my 2nd MLB "out-of-town" scoreboard which I found on Reddit. The build and software is relatively easy and I had essentially zero issues my first time around.

Nonetheless, I am a novice and may botch some verbiage here so let me know if better explanation is needed or feel free to correct my wording and understanding.

To keep it simple: I have attached the 3 pieces and plugged in power however am unable to get the default lighting to turn on the LED board. I cannot tell if the board is defective or if I messed something up.

To not keep it simple: I have attached the bonnet to the raspberry pi via the 40-pin GPIO header. The bonnet is plugged into the LED board input via both the 16-pin IDC cable and .15" pitch 4-pin power cable. The bonnet is plugged in with a 5V 4A (4000mA) switching power supply and the raspberry pi is plugged in with a 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Power Supply / Adapter. The raspberry pi's power light comes on and the 5V OK bonnet light comes on and will flicker if I mess with the 4-pin power cables. After some time, nothing happens on the LED board. The first time I did this project about 2 months back the board turned on with flashing "moving" light designs. I originally was provided a 4-pin power cable with circular connector ends which I cut and screwed into the bonnet. I thought maybe I cut it incorrectly / too short and replaced them with spaded connectors and have not seen a difference. I'm not sure how to test if the IDC cable or the LED board is the issue without purchasing another IDC cable. I have not yet installed a microsd card or installed an OS on the raspberry power and simply powered it ( I believe this wasn't required when I tested my first board and it lit up).

Question: How can I confirm if the IDC cable or LED board are the culprit?
Note: I thought it was odd the spade connectors screw in and the inner clamp goes upwards. I didn't remember from the first project if they were supposed to clamp up or down into the bonnet. It's the only way they will screw in tight and hold though so I keep thinking it must be correct.

Pictures are uploaded of all the connected pieces and powered up.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information and what I should try from here!
Attachments
Powered_Pi_Bonnet_Board_No_Response.jpg
Full picture of everything plugged in and powered with no LED board lighting
Powered_Pi_Bonnet_Board_No_Response.jpg (407.44 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Powered_Pi_Bonnet_IDC_and_Power.jpg
Bonnet is plugged in to raspberry pi, powered, and has IDC cable in place. Spade connectors screwed in.
Powered_Pi_Bonnet_IDC_and_Power.jpg (390.57 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Back_LED_Board_Power_and_IDC.jpg
LED board is powered and data cable plugged in
Back_LED_Board_Power_and_IDC.jpg (400.25 KiB) Viewed 50 times

gnickels

Re: Troubleshooting LED Panel

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:26 am

Have you installed the code necessary to make the Matrix Bonnet do its thing?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... tware-4-16

adafruit_support_mike

by gnickels on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks. You're correct.. I misremembered how the first project went and thought there was some acknowledgement from the board that it works. I also initially read the set up instructions but clearly missed the install portion. This can be considered closed.

gnickels

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:28 am

Glad to hear you got things working. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.